Platy Problem - Video Evidence

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rg07

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Have posted in the other area but have received any responses. I have a platy exhibiting strange behavior. The other platy that was showing the same behavior has died. I was wondering if anyone could watch the clip and let me know if they have any idea what is happening to my platys.

Thanks in advance

Looks like swim bladder disease, it happends when the fish swallows air while eating... My mollie had this. There is no cure sometimes it corrects itself sometimes it doesnt, im sorry for your other fish. This desease happens mainly in goldfish but can sometimes happen in other fish.

Looks like swim bladder disease, it happends when the fish swallows air while eating... My mollie had this. There is no cure sometimes it corrects itself sometimes it doesnt, im sorry for your other fish. This desease happens mainly in goldfish but can sometimes happen in other fish.

ya just give it a few days!!!! how long have u had them is ur tank cycled and what r ur parameters??????

i like the colors of the fish tho!!! hopefully he makes it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is your heater a submersible heater? it looks like it has lines indicating where the water should be between? probably not the problem but just a warning for a more serious problem that could come

Have lost a platy first then a gourami. But neither from the same symptoms. The platy seemed to be having problems swimming and would just rest on the bottom until another fish came too close. Then would wiggle away. But it was like her back was broken or something. It was like she couldnt swim correctly. This happened over a short amount of time and she stopped eating.

The gourami on the other hand must have had a disease of some sort. His fins were almost gone, so my assumption was fin rot. But we had only purchased him less than a week a go and was healthy. Eating, everything fine. Then one night he was curled up in a corner and weird transparent spots on him. Not black or white but spots like you could see into him.

All levels in tank are normal. Ph 7.8, nitrate 30, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, temp 77-79f

All other community fish seem fine for now except the platy. Gourami's, platys (except one is starting to exhibit same behavior as other platy that died), tetras, pleco,

Changed carbon a week ago shortly after getting the gourami, but the other gourami's purchased the same day were fine. Image is gourami prior to the spots showing up and finding him dead today.

Tank has been cycled since May of this year.

hmm wat i would do is some pwc to get the nitrates a littlebit dow or as close to 0 as u can and try to brong the ph maybe to 7.4, also how long has the tank been set up???/ and how did u acclimated them???? this might sound dumb but did u use dechlorinator?????

Bschowa said:
is your heater a submersible heater? it looks like it has lines indicating where the water should be between? probably not the problem but just a warning for a more serious problem that could come

Yes it is a submersible. The line indicates I cannot have the water below that point. Good eye thou...

abrahamavelar said:
hmm wat i would do is some pwc to get the nitrates a littlebit dow or as close to 0 as u can and try to brong the ph maybe to 7.4, also how long has the tank been set up???/ and how did u acclimated them???? this might sound dumb but did u use dechlorinator?????

Maybe I can try that. Yep, have been using a de-chlorinator. It has been cycled sine May. I have acclimated them all the same way. These platys I have had sine the beginning.

oh ok i only say the dechlor thing cuz my friend used to never put it and nothing happen till she moved and all her fish died and some swam like that due that it burns their gills

abrahamavelar said:

The OP does not need to lower their PH it's fine. The vast majority of fish in this hobby are tank and farmed raised and do not require the same PH as if they were wild caught. Allot of the more common tropical fish can adapt to a wide range of Ph 6.0-8.0 and live happy and healthy lives.

Stable PH is the most important thing, it's bad advice like this that get people to go out and buy PH up/down add it to their and then all their fish start to die from PH shock and stress.

If you don't know what's wrong do not just grasp at straws and throw something out there just to give a comment. There's no harm in saying " I'm not sure but I hope your fish gets better"

Could parasites cause this problem? It's very odd that several platties would succumb to the same symptoms. And what your gourami had sounds awful!

Back
Top Bottom