Platy sick please help urgent!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nikhil

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all,

My sunburst platy is not swimming, eating, losing weight, has wierd shae now & seems something sticking to her body. We have no idea what it is...
We have 20 g tank, 3 platy, 2 Molly, 2 guppy, 5 neons. Water parameters look normal (API test kit used)

She hasn't been eating for 10 days now so we thought she's scared of platy male & guppy male who were bothering her so we isolated her & fed blood worms which she ate but after that nothing improved. We also gave her salt bath but no use. We are treating out tank for ick now. After from the platy all my fish are in great condition. Just don't know what's wrong with her. Please help...!!

I have attached few of er picks. Please c those white spots/ scales on her skin

Attachments

• image-1632075976.jpg
    image-1632075976.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 81
  • image-1211274639.jpg
    image-1211274639.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 95
  • image-2899586934.jpg
    image-2899586934.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 69
I am not sure about the spots but the rest of what you r describing sounds like it could be fish TB. I recommend you look into this, as it can be transmitted to your other fish and even to humans.

Maybe quarantine tank with some salt? Elevated temp as well? Not sure if that may help

Set up an isolation tank and use salt in it. Keep the water in this tank spotless and do a partial water change every couple of days. 25-30%.

It doesn't help leaving her in the main tank as other fish tend to pick or bully the less healthy which will probably finish her off.

If you don't have another tank, use a breeder box to at least separate her from the others.

Just dip the water she is in in the main tank water once a day to help with filtration.

All the best for the little one.

We already added salt to the tank & put her in the breeder for 3-4 days but she did not improve 1 bit. Don't know what's going on

How can get fish enthu? Thanks for the advise.

You can try erythromycin or tetracycline but you'd need to put her in a separate tank to treat. Fish TB is hard to treat anyway but you can try it if you can find the meds. Sadly she doesn't look good. Euthanizing may be the best option if she doesn't improve.

How can get fish enthu? Thanks for the advise.

There are a few options. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/an-overview-of-euthanasia-73775.html

Some are more humane than others. Personally I've found the ice-water method the most humane so far. Get a bowl or plastic container and fill it with water. Put it in the freezer. When ice starts to form at the top (not all the way through), take it out and break up the ice. Then net the fish in. The temperature shock usually kills the fish in a few seconds.

There are a few options. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f17/an-overview-of-euthanasia-73775.html

Some are more humane than others. Personally I've found the ice-water method the most humane so far. Get a bowl or plastic container and fill it with water. Put it in the freezer. When ice starts to form at the top (not all the way through), take it out and break up the ice. Then net the fish in. The temperature shock usually kills the fish in a few seconds.

I would strongly disagree with that, and its been scientifically proven that his causes pain to the fish.

The best method is clove oil. This puts the fish to sleep like an anaesthetic, and then put vodka in.

You'll find that's the best and most humane way to end a fishes life with no pain at all.

I need magic as its our most beloved fish & never had any issues until now... Looks like its going towards clove oil treatment :(

I need magic as its our most beloved fish & never had any issues until now... Looks like its going towards clove oil treatment :(

It's difficult I know, but it could be in a lot of pain.

MS-222 is also a good (yet expensive) anaesthetic. A big overdose on this will have the same effect as clove oil.

Actually clove oil isn't an accepted form of euthanasia by the AVMA either. There is no true humane way to do this and no scientific studies that overwhelmingly support one method over another. Each person should choose a method that works for them and they feel comfortable with.

Clove oil -- because adequate and appropriate clinical trials have not been performed on fish to evaluate its effects, use of clove oil is not acceptable.

I think clove oil is the most humane way. The freezing method is very stressful for fish. With clove oil the fish can be asleep during euthanizing so it would be the most peaceful way. But you're right, librarygirl. It's just what the person feels most comfortable with.

Back
Top Bottom