Platy with white scum and baby fry .... need help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smithsm35

Aquarium Advice Newbie
we have had a few platy on our tank and all of a sudden 2 of them died leaving 1 remaining with a white scum fold over the eyes and body. When we removed the dead fish we noticed at least 25 baby platys! They are in a 10 gal tank that's been set up and stationary for at least 15 years with filtration and heating system and never had any diseas or fungus problems before. There is also white cotton like scum covering some of the fake plants. I'm concerned if we should treat the tank for ich, or a fungus, or bacteria. I'm also concerned with the fry and how to keep them safe as well! With having so many of them it makes it difficult to change the water or clean the tank because of how small they are. I will post some photos for a better understanding. Any advice or previous experiences would be greatly appreciated!!

Pictures

Here are some pictures

Attachments

• IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0184.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0188.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0189.jpg
    IMG_0189.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0185.jpg
    IMG_0185.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 58
Your problem I bet was from over feeding.

The plants collected food and the food rotted on it .

You probably got ammonia and that help cause the fungal infection.

Chain reaction fish die. Poor water conditions.

Thanks, I knew that fungus had to have been from something! Lol do you have any suggestions on what to use and how to go about treating the tank with all of the babies in it? We clean in every couple months and have a constant filtrations system

Back
Top Bottom