Play sand or pool sand? Pros? Cons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The biggest reason not to get play/pool sand is that it isn't calcium based and if you plan on going reef it means you are going to have to dose a lot more the you otherwise would have to.

How much sand did you get
for your 320 build? Just out of curiosity...

Doesn't salt mix have all the calcium I'd need? I'm not above dosing though if it's necessary.

How much sand did you get
for your 320 build? Just out of curiosity...
I'm not sure... I used the sand to make my DIY rock too so it's even harder to guess... I would say over 500 lbs. I didn't even buy it all at once I just picked up all the store had every time they got it in stock, and I still have about 100-150lbs outside for when my MTS starts to get out of hand.

Doesn't salt mix have all the calcium I'd need? I'm not above dosing though if it's necessary.
Yes salt mix has what you need but you will need to supply the calcium that your reef needs in between water changes, as well as extra alkalinity. If you plan on having a lot of coral I suggest you look closely at the costs of dosing vs. the cost of the sand. FOWLR I would say any sand would be okay but in a reef I would go with the arganite. But how much buffer is there is still in debate so who knows maybe it is mostly inert. Even with a DSB you will need to dose calcium and alkalinity in a reef. (when I say reef I'm thinking SPS LPS that use calcium)

Last edited:
ahh OK. so I'll hjave to keep an eye on calcium and alkalinity if I go the PFS route. Good to know.

I am probably getting a sump so I can always add a doser I suppose if it comes down to it. I haven't had any issues thus far with my corals and I know my alk is off and I have high phosphates too.

Doesn't purple up count as calcium? I also have a gallon jug of calcium I got from a pet store close out, I was gonna try to sell it but if I may need it later....

Thanks for the answers! I appreciate the time you guys take out to answer silly questions. :-D

I avoid purple up like the plague, IME it made my rocks look ridiculously fake.

Do you have a test for calcium magnesium and KH? Those are the "big 3" needed for a reef that you don't need for a FOWLR.

Yep. I have so many tests its just silly. I also have silicate tests, copper and a few others i can't remember. I know not to dose anything without being able to test for it.

last time I checked all was good with mag & calcium. My kh/alkalinty is always off though. Have never figured it out...LOL

i don't know if you can just dose calcium, i've always read that the best way is using a reactor to release the calcium into the columb when you get a drop below a set level rather then just dumping it in

I have been doing ALOT of research today. I've even looked at reactors. I'm going to get a salifert calcium test kit too, I can never be sure with the API. I can always set up a dosing drip underneath if need be.

See, I'm getting better at this!

Theres SOO mcuh to learn. It's not like you can ever know it all. I love that. My knowledge base only gets bigger, it's so cool. I love the challenge in keeping perfect tanks especially my saltwater setups. I'm actually understanding alot more.

Can't wait to pick up my PFS. Gonna get it on saturday I think. :-D

i agree you can never know it all in this hobby, i'm a big fan of DIY stuff so i've looked up alot of info abotu different equipment so i know how to build my own ( reactors, skimmers, sumps and even lighting fixtures)

I wish I was more inclined to DIY. I'm thinking though that learning allthis sump stuff is gonna make me more confident. I'm already planning on adding a shelf for an ATO. But thats for another thread lol

DIY isn't to hard just research and take your time and be safe if they require power tools, if you don't feel comfortable then either but a ready made or have soemone else do the tougher stuff

i don't believe silica sand causes algae. silica is inert. it's basically crushed quartz. i don't believe anything "leaches" out of it at all. at worst, the texture of the grains might be good for algae growth, but that's a nutrient issue, not a sand issue.
just remember that silica based sand does nothing to buffer the ph.

also, in all of the reef tanks i've kept, not one sand bed ever saw a vacuum, and i never had any trouble with any of them. smaller grains will remove the need for sand bed maintenance.

Last edited:
i don't believe silica sand causes algae. silica is inert. it's basically crushed quartz. i don't believe anything "leaches" out of it at all. at worst, the texture of the grains might be good for algae growth, but that's a nutrient issue, not a sand issue.
just remember that silica based sand does nothing to buffer the ph.

also, in all of the reef tanks i've kept, not one sand bed ever saw a vacuum, and i never had any trouble with any of them. smaller grains will remove the need for sand bed maintenance.

Mr. X has returned! LOL Welcome back sir....

So woudl you recommend the play sand over the filter sand is the question of the hour. I personally like the texture but am concerned abotu rough edges.

ha...i had a sudden rush of activities that kept me very busy. i'm starting to see an end.
as for the question, i don't know. i didn't skim through the entire thread, but what's up with rough edges? tiny little grains of sand with rough edges are a concern i'm guessing? it wouldn't be to me. just don't get any between the magnets of your algae scraper and i think you'll be ok.
i still prefer aragonite based sand for it's buffering ability.

I dislike the aragonite in myother tanks so I'm taking this opportunity to try something new. Hope it isnt too big of a scale lol.

Would dosing with a 2 part system help?

Thanks so much for your repsonses!

yes, but how are you dosing? will this be a constant drip or dumping in some every day after work? i believe the calcium based sand helps keep the ph steady. i'm not sure what fluctuations you are going to see without it.
when i was told about it, i just went with it and always chose it since. i never considered not using it.

I was thinking the bottled dosing at least to begin with if there are any issues. Once I get my comfort level up a bit with the sump i don't see why i wouldnt have a drip doser rigged up. This is considering that it will be needed. Some people have reported sucess and haven't mentioned dosing.

Back
Top Bottom