Play sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cilantro

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just added 50 pounds of play sand in my tank and its really cloudy and should I leave my filter off or on

play sand is not good for aquariums, it can raise the PH from what I have heard. I use pool filter sand from home depot. (Do not get diatomaceous earth)

you also have to wash it really well before you put it in. I rinse mine in a small container, I rinse it 5 or 6 times and slowly put it in the tank. This cuts down on all the excess dust.

Do you have fish in this tank? If not then you could probably leave your filter off for a few hours till the dust settles.

Well I'm taking some water out to try anf get it clear and rinsed it for about 16 min but its been of for a couple of hours anf no improvement

Do you have fish in the tank yet?
It might take a day or so for it to settle, and then more time with the filter on to clear the rest of the microparticles. Here is a picture of my two 5 gallons that I filled today, they are still cloudy. Try letting it sit for about an hour, then turning the filter on and waiting overnight and see what it looks like in the morning.

can any one else chip in on the play sound? I heard that it was bad for aquariums because it raises the PH, but I don't want to give bad information.

I've never heard that about play sand (i know several here use it and have never mentioned that. I don't even see how that's possible)... I did try it, however, and had the same experience. I tried for 2 weeks to get it to clear up and it never did. I only use PFS if I want sand.

Turn off your filter if you have no fish, that should help the sand settle. I always purchase reef sand to prevent getting something with contaminated. I remember looking at play sand and it had a warning about not using it for aquariums. Your sand may be fine though.

How long has it been since you put the sand in? Any improvement?

I've never heard that about play sand (i know several here use it and have never mentioned that. I don't even see how that's possible)... I did try it, however, and had the same experience. I tried for 2 weeks to get it to clear up and it never did. I only use PFS if I want sand.

I to have always used pool filter sand with excellent results. And it only costs 5-6 bucks for a 50lb bag.

Ok ill turn off the filter and seei also did a20 percent water change and it cleard some of it out.and I got my sand from friedsmans for 4 bucks it was a50 pound bag

Glad to hear. Let me know how it looks tomorrow. The water changes may speed up the progress, as long as you aren't disrupting the bar when you add the new water.

Back
Top Bottom