Playing with fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bayo

Aquarium Advice Regular
How do you guys play with your fish? I'm wondering if people play with them or just watch them? :)

I dont know if you count this as playing but whenever i stick my arm into my tanks, my angelfish always bites this one freckle on my arm and my clown loach races up and down my arm nibbling it. It sometimes startles me when im not paying attention to them and it makes me jump:)

We play music for our bettas. They DANCE! Our first Betta would dance with my son. Our new one is still very new so we will see!

My fancy goldfish LOVE to be talked to. I got one of them from a wonderful family when they were moving. He wants to be held, which is adorable, but I refuse to risk thinning his slime coat. He eats from my fingers - or my son's.

My husband's gourami will put their whiskers against the glass where we place our fingers to say hello.

His ebjd follows him around so he enjoys just engaging him with eye contact and attention. He follows his fingers hoping for food.

Well, I didn't really PLAY with my betta fish...more of that I trained him to do silly tricks. He would jump through hoops, and spin in circles for peices of bloodworm:)

I don't know if my fish thinks its "play" per say... But I like to make him "finger chase" on the glass. He will try to murder me threw the glass for as long as I stay there. I don't do it for more then 5 or so mins. So I'm not stressing him out to much as I know he's just protecting his tank.

I have also put one of them "make up mirrors" up to the glass and he absolutely went CRAZY! Scraping teeth and banging his head on the glass to the point I was worried for his well being.

It's fun owning crazy fish haha.

I don't know if my fish thinks its "play" per say... But I like to make him "finger chase" on the glass. He will try to murder me threw the glass for as long as I stay there. I don't do it for more then 5 or so mins. So I'm not stressing him out to much as I know he's just protecting his tank.

I have also put one of them "make up mirrors" up to the glass and he absolutely went CRAZY! Scraping teeth and banging his head on the glass to the point I was worried for his well being.

It's fun owning crazy fish haha.
What do you have a shark? lol
I taught my betta to stick his nose out of the water and take a pellet off my finger.

Does anyone know if you can leave a mirror in a tank on a permanent basis? I don't really want to set my tank on fire. It contains real plants!

2007PSanHa said:
Does anyone know if you can leave a mirror in a tank on a permanent basis? I don't really want to set my tank on fire. It contains real plants!

I wouldn't, as I said in my post (well kinda) it will stress any fish that is aggressive towards its species/similar looking species. For ex- a male beta, cichlids, both red tail/rainbow sharks. To name a few.

Not to mention how often we clean glass/Murrow with chemicals.

Jmo, outside of these reasons I don't see why it would hurt.

GodFan said:
lol does it bleed when he bites?

Depends on how good he gets me, if I'm caught off guard usually he will get me pretty good. I have a nice scar on my left pointer knuckle now ;) haha. But more times then not I don't bleed. Which is realistically 50% of the time haha.

Back
Top Bottom