Please Assist With Aquascaping Ideas for 60 Gallon Goldfish Setup...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtesiaWells

Aquarium Advice Addict
We are in the process of re-doing our 60 gallon after a recent crash due to a bacterial infection breakout that killed two of our beloved fancy goldfish, and we are thinking of doing goldies again. Right now, we're in the process of cleaning out the tank and sterilizing everything (the tank, glass, filter housings) and already have some of the equipment -- two HOB filters, an AquaClear 100 and Aqueon QuietFlow 55; air pumps, light, etc. -- and we just today got some new gravel to lay on the bottom once it's clean. We just don't know what we really want to do as far as a theme for aquascaping; previously, we did the "pirate shipwreck" theme, with the large ship in the center of the tank and the skull, cave, etc. in various other parts of the tank, but we want to move away from that and do something more "natural" perhaps...

Our gravel selected for this new attempt are the large and medium natural-colored stones (brown/beige mixture), so this will create the natural look from the start. We are not doing live plants. We were also considering different themes to go with; one would be a Tahitian/Exotic Hawaiian kind of thing, with the volcano bubbler in the middle of the tank perhaps...or maybe the "Tiki mask" decorations they have in Petsmart scattered on the bottom. Then, we thought about doing a quasi-Asian theme because these are goldfish, and it would be more like their homeland "habitat" with Oriental bridges, statues of dragons, Chinese temples, etc.

Or, we could go kind of all-natural, with lots and lots of (plastic) green plants and "rock caves" created throughout the tank; we just don't know. I think this time I'd like to "build up" the rear of the aquarium so it looks "filled in" as we didn't have that last time, and there will be two bubble bars running in back; to do the "filled in" thing, we would need to heavily plant the back of the tank but I am uncertain how to go about arranging the (fake) flora...

Does anyone have any suggestions for setting up our re-established goldfish tank when it's time? :thanks: :thanks:

Why no real plants? There a numerous low light, low care plants perfect for fancy tanks. :)
If I had to choose a theme (other than natural) I'd go with the oriental decor.

Why no real plants? There a numerous low light, low care plants perfect for fancy tanks. :)

Well, we just don't want to get into the care -- no matter how low the level -- of real plants being that we have a hard enough time caring for the live fish! Aside from that, goldies are notorious veggie and plant eaters...

If I had to choose a theme (other than natural) I'd go with the oriental decor.

Thank you! Is that because of the goldfish connection? Can you offer any suggestions so far as layout of plants, decor, etc? I like those tanks that look "built up" in the rear with loads of plants (green) and then rock caves seem to form near the middle or front...do you know what I mean? I just don't know how to go about doing this...

What about the Tahitian/Tiki thing with the volcano bubbler in the middle...would that go good with goldies, do you think?

ArtesiaWells said:
Well, we just don't want to get into the care -- no matter how low the level -- of real plants being that we have a hard enough time caring for the live fish! Aside from that, goldies are notorious veggie and plant eaters...

Thank you! Is that because of the goldfish connection? Can you offer any suggestions so far as layout of plants, decor, etc? I like those tanks that look "built up" in the rear with loads of plants (green) and then rock caves seem to form near the middle or front...do you know what I mean? I just don't know how to go about doing this...
Pretty much the connection and I love Buddha statues. :)
http://www.freshwateraquariumplants.com/aquascapingprinc/aquascaping101.html
This article helped me out when I first started out.
The rule of thirds is a good one to follow. You don't want the focal point in the middle of the tank. Forming lines of sight in the shape of triangles leading to the focal point helps draw the eye. (hope that makes sense!)
What about the Tahitian/Tiki thing with the volcano bubbler in the middle...would that go good with goldies, do you think?

Im not a huge fan if ornaments personally. I can see the Goldies enjoying the bubbles but I would be worried they would get stuck in the opening in the top.

Just to throw it out there. This is my fancy tank. All live plants and I don't do a single thing to the plants. No food or trimming.

image-3781709812.jpg

Pretty much the connection and I love Buddha statues. :)

Okay. :) I figured the Oriental/Chinese idea was cool because of the goldfish, but there are so many different ways to do it -- bridges, temples, dragons...of course, you don't like ornaments, so...

Aquascaping Principles
This article helped me out when I first started out.
The rule of thirds is a good one to follow. You don't want the focal point in the middle of the tank. Forming lines of sight in the shape of triangles leading to the focal point helps draw the eye. (hope that makes sense!)

Thank you! That is an amazing article; I wish I just knew how to create those "triangular lines of sight" as described...and I don't know why you wouldn't want the focal point in the middle of the tank...that's how I always did it.

Im not a huge fan if ornaments personally. I can see the Goldies enjoying the bubbles but I would be worried they would get stuck in the opening in the top.

Yeah, our goldies loved the two bubble walls forming the rear -- perhaps I won't go with a volcano then...I don't know yet...

Just to throw it out there. This is my fancy tank. All live plants and I don't do a single thing to the plants. No food or trimming.

View attachment 102004

Very nice...but how do you not trim or feed them??

ArtesiaWells said:
Okay. :) I figured the Oriental/Chinese idea was cool because of the goldfish, but there are so many different ways to do it -- bridges, temples, dragons...of course, you don't like ornaments, so...
I reckon a large Buddha or dragon as the focal point and smaller bridges and temples in the mid ground with taller plants around the back and side of the tank.
Thank you! That is an amazing article; I wish I just knew how to create those "triangular lines of sight" as described...and I don't know why you wouldn't want the focal point in the middle of the tank...that's how I always did it.
No problem. Having it off centre is more pleasing to the eye apparently. Looks more natural.
Yeah, our goldies loved the two bubble walls forming the rear -- perhaps I won't go with a volcano then...I don't know yet...

Very nice...but how do you not trim or feed them??

Thank you. They are just very low care plants. The Goldies provide food from their waste and they eat some new shoots keeping growth down. They also eat softer dying leaves with the help of some mystery snails. All I do is change water, vacuum occasionally and feed the fish.

I reckon a large Buddha or dragon as the focal point and smaller bridges and temples in the mid ground with taller plants around the back and side of the tank.

No problem. Having it off centre is more pleasing to the eye apparently. Looks more natural.

Thank you. They are just very low care plants. The Goldies provide food from their waste and they eat some new shoots keeping growth down. They also eat softer dying leaves with the help of some mystery snails. All I do is change water, vacuum occasionally and feed the fish.

Thanks very much, and very interesting; would you recommend the usage of plants colored other than standard green (if we proceed with going plastic)?

Glad to help :) I would choose all natural colors for the plants. Mostly different shades of green with little splashes of reds and browns to highlight different areas.

Oh yes. They LOVE those neon plants. My almost 4yo has some in her tank.

As far as more seasoned adults in the hobby go, though, would natural decor just be better, being that we got that natural looking substrate already?

If that's what your going for then yes, natural decor would be better. You could purchase some fake logs or use real wood in amongst silk and plastic plants to give a more natural feel. Decorating a tank is a personal choice though. It all comes down to what you like and what look your wanting to achieve.

I agree with mumma, and vote for natural looking. It adds a sort of calmness and peaceful look to the tank :)

Thank you, koi.

Appreciate your opinion and input; so, when you say "natural," do you mean just green-ish plants amongst rock caves, logs, etc?

Perhaps items from this kind of group? :

Aquarium Decorations: Fish Tank Ornaments & Aquarium Rocks | PetSmart

BTW -- is there a "better" online resource to find good aquarium decor rather than me having to go to this local Petsmart for everything? There are no "privately owned" hobbyist or fish fanatic outlets anywhere around where I live...:rolleyes:

If that's what your going for then yes, natural decor would be better. You could purchase some fake logs or use real wood in amongst silk and plastic plants to give a more natural feel. Decorating a tank is a personal choice though. It all comes down to what you like and what look your wanting to achieve.

That's the thing -- we're not quite sure what we want to do with the decor this time around, for certain...we know we wanted to go with the "natural" substrate -- this is what we got, actually: Top Fin&#0174 Premium Quality Aquarium Gravel- 10lb - Gravel & Sand - Fish - PetSmart -- but as far as "theming," we're not quite sure...we know we don't want to go "cheesy" again with the pirate shipwreck thing, and I was thinking of the more natural look with logs and rock caves, but I just don't know how to arrange them in the tank (I suppose I will follow the leads via that link you sent me)...

ArtesiaWells said:
Appreciate your opinion and input; so, when you say "natural," do you mean just green-ish plants amongst rock caves, logs, etc?

Yes by natural looking I mean plants, rocks, DW. All of mine are from the "wild" (as another user put it earlier lol). as mumma said there are lots of low light plants that do not require the attention that other plants do. And I've noticed that my fish seem to appreciate the real plants more than the fake. how to set up the decor is entirely up to you, my tank is always a work in progress because I'm always finding different ways that I want to change my tank.

Thank you both...

No, unfortunately I live in a desert terrain on the West Coast of the U.S., so I don't have access to any lakes, rivers, etc. to collect real decor -- I don't think I would want to go through the headache of tannins leeching into the water though...:blink:

Back
Top Bottom