Please grade my future lighting!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Todd

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have asked this before, but I just want to make sure before I purchase. I am setting up a 150 gal. FOWLR. I want to purchase a 72" Coralife 4x96 power compact hood(2 10k, 2 actinic). I want to know if this lighting will be enough? And will I be able to keep any coral with this lighting? I really can't afford to jump to the next level(halide) right now. Please let me know, I would like to get my tank going. I can't wait!!!!!!!!!!

how deep is your tank? keeping any corals under this umm i would leave clams and high light corals out unless you put them very high up on the rock close to the light. but i am sure you can keep alot of different less needing light coral they should do fine. if i had that tank setup i would probably stay away from extremely high light corals unless i put them at the top of my tank. well anyways this is what i have heard on the forum i only have low ligh corals right now i cant afford metal haliade right now either. hope that helps

If I were you I would just continue to save and invest in MH later on. I'm only speaking from personal experience because i made the mistake of buying a PC hood and then upgrading again. I have a 72G tank and at first I bought a PC hood for my tank. After a few months I decided I wanted to have some higher light demanding corals and had to upgrade to MH. If you just wait a while and save up some more money, you can go with MH and end up saving $$$s in the long run.

tripper

You can get a few retro 250w MH with everything for $180-$200 each. I would save for that instead if you plan on keeping any kind of corals. It will indeed save you money over time. :)

Mike

With the price of lighting being as high as it is, you only want to do it once. 4x96 watts of lighting will enable you keep some mushrooms and zoos as long as they are up high in the tank. Buying a more powerfull systems from the beginning will enable you to keep a much brader range of corals. If you plan on building a reef in the futre, I recommend starting off with a more intense system. Look at the 72in Aqualight Pro by Coralife as an alternative. Good luck

$180-200 each but he will need 3 :)

I think you will be ok for softies(zoos, leathers, etc) and maybe some LPS. I ran a 4x55 on my 75 gal with good results. 2.5 watts is on the low side and if that tank is tall, sofities might be it.

A used retro kit would be your best bet to save money.

My tank is 29" deep. I was wondering if I keep some high on the rock, will it be O.K. If I go with a halide retrofit, how much will that cost me? Where would I look for used retrofits(EBay)? Coralife also sells a 6x96 hood, but it sells for $745.

What about this idea. I buy the 4x96 coralife pc. The fixture is only 7 1/4" deep. I put that towards the front of the tank. Later on I could buy some halide pendants or something to put behind the pc's. my tank is 18" deep. This way later on I can keep some coral.

I haven't really looked into VHO lighting. What are the pros and cons of VHO lighting and what is the difference between pc and vho?

Your corals won't really notice any difference. There's really not alot of difference between the two in performance if your comparing 4x165w VHO to 6x96w PC (72" length). Many people have preferences but the corals don't in this regards.

PC's don't get quite as warm as VHO but as long as there is a fan or two incorporated into the hood set up, it won't be a concern. For your tank length, VHO is a better choice for long term care, maintenance andt the bulbs last a bit longer. Bulb replacement with PC's can get pricey as they should be replaced every 7-9 months. VHO can be done yearly.

Cheers
Steve

Just because my tank is 72", does that mean I have to go with a 72" light. Could I go with a powerful 60" hood to save money? Also, if I stay with a FOWLR will I be O.K. with a 4x96 pc hood?

You don't "have to" buy a 72" light set up but if your going to have any success with corals of any kind, you will regret not going in that direction. Simpley because a light covers a certain area doesn't mean it's adequate to support light dependant animals. Intensity vs depth is moreso important. A 4x96w PC light will extremely limit what you might be able to keep successfully.

As far as a FOWLR set up, lighting is much less important. If the PC was elevated a bit more above the tank, it would illuminate more area but light quality will be greatly reduced. It will support coralline at the very least.

I guess the best suggestion here is to ask yourself what do you want the tank to house and what your eventual goal for the tank will be. There's no reason why the tank cannot be set up in stages and more appropriate lighting added later if you decide to keep corals and your budget permits. As far as the rock is concerned, it needs no special light if used (in the beginning at least) soley for biological filtration. If that's the case, a simple NO strip light will be sufficient.

Lighting is pretty pricey so I would be sure it's something you only do once if possible.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for all of your input, everyone. Steve, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer all my questions. When I finally finish, I will post pics.

Back
Top Bottom