Please help a beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chana

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have a 20 gallon long tank with one regular (comet?) goldfish. He's doing great, but we'd love to add some more fish. Aside from more goldfish, do we have any other viable options? Thanks so much!

IMO you are almost fully stocked if not already goldfish have huge bio loads. You might be able to add a couple shrimp ( not too sure if temperature compatible) or maybe a few snails. Whatever you do don't add another goldfish unless you plan to upgrade tank size quickly

Give the comet back to store, their usually a waste unless you have a GIANT tank and other fish... if you want more fish, you must return the comet... :(

Comet goldfish get to be 13 inches long. It might be a good idea to look at rehoming him and getting a smaller goldfish because he will easily outgrow that tank.

Give the comet back to store, their usually a waste unless you have a GIANT tank and other fish... if you want more fish, you must return the comet... :(

I agree you could really setup a great community tank in a 20 long. I always hate to tell people to bring back fish but its the best idea.

We have a 20 long for my daughter and have quite a stock in it (maybe slightly overstocked but doing great for over a year without any losses) you could get some amazing stuff. Like a couple platys ,some tetras, shrimp, African dwarf frog (her fav)....... All at once without being close to being stocked

I'd recommend this:
4x Guppies
4x Platy
6x Glo Fish
5x Pygmy Cories
3x Dwarf Mollies
1x Assassin Snail

Just as a guideline, you can modify this a bit, but I recommend this or some neon tetras and betta and some other fish would work..

I'd recommend this:
4x Guppies
4x Platy
6x Glo Fish
5x Pygmy Cories
3x Dwarf Mollies
1x Assassin Snail

Just as a guideline, you can modify this a bit, but I recommend this or some neon tetras and betta and some other fish would work..

Neon Tetras and bettas don't belong together. Tetras are fin nippers and bettas have fragile fins. Also, why only 1 assassin snail?

Neon Tetras and bettas don't belong together. Tetras are fin nippers and bettas have fragile fins. Also, why only 1 assassin snail?

Really? I have to disagree. I have kept multiple different Bettas and neons together for years without issue. If the neons are nipping it means they are feeling threatened. This is usually from insufficient school sizes.

I'd recommend this:
4x Guppies
4x Platy
6x Glo Fish
5x Pygmy Cories
3x Dwarf Mollies
1x Assassin Snail

That looks like a good recommendation/idea (I'd change a few just my taste). As the OP is new I just need to advise don't add them all at once. It should take a few weeks and do your research to make sure you get what interests you.

I would take out the mollies and add a dear gourami and once the tank is mature a pair of oto cats

Really? I have to disagree. I have kept multiple different Bettas and neons together for years without issue. If the neons are nipping it means they are feeling threatened. This is usually from insufficient school sizes.

*shrug* I've never seen neon tetras that were model citizens. The last tank I saw them in was a school of 9 and they were jerks to everything else in the tank. It makes me kind of sad because I would really like a school of them.

From what I've heard, bettas all have different personalities, so if one does something to provoke the tetras or make the tetras think that the bettas is eatable, then the tetras might gang up on the betta. I think bettas just have weird affects on some fish.

Thanks so much for all the advice. I see I will have to part with the goldfish. I feel bad, b/c he's been so good to us. Given that we're beginners and on a tight budget, what can you suggest? Easy to care for? Beautiful, but not expensive? Any help is much appreciated. I want to set up something nice, but I'm afraid to get in too much over my head... Thanks.

Thanks so much for all the advice. I see I will have to part with the goldfish. I feel bad, b/c he's been so good to us. Given that we're beginners and on a tight budget, what can you suggest? Easy to care for? Beautiful, but not expensive? Any help is much appreciated. I want to set up something nice, but I'm afraid to get in too much over my head... Thanks.

I understand fully the beginner and wanting hardy inexpensive fish. I would suggest taking a couple months even to fully stock the tank. I suggest adding one type every couple weeks.

For stock (I'm a little biased this is mainly what my daughters 20 long has)

3 platys (1male 2 females to avoid aggression)
6-8 neon tetras or some colorful rasboras
1-2 dwarf gourami
Shrimp of some sort (ghost or red cherry)
3 Cory cats
And once the tank is really mature 2-3 Oto cats to help with algae
1-2 African dwarf frogs ( they're great to watch)

I'd also play online and look for what really interests you. You are the one who will be watching and taking care of them.

Thanks! I see there are many versions of the platys and dwarf gouramis. Is that just a matter of taste or any specific ones to choose or avoid?

Thanks! I see there are many versions of the platys and dwarf gouramis. Is that just a matter of taste or any specific ones to choose or avoid?

Sorry I thought I replied to you earlier. As for platys and dwarf gouramis it is really just the color and markings, so its what you want. That is not always the case with other types of fish. I'm not sure your age or of you have kids but if you do I recommend at least one Mickey Mouse platy they are really cool (my daughters fav fish)

I would suggest you build a tank on aqadvisor to see exactly how much space you will have and to make sure things are compatible. It's not perfect but a great start and I think extremely valuable for the beginner.

thank you so much, i'll check it out!

It's no problem I had a lot of help when I reentered the hobby. What goes around comes around. I should just warn you it is addictive

Back
Top Bottom