Please help!! African dwarf frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kmtermini

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can someone please help!!! Ive had my lik guy for about a year and hes tanked w a guarmi, a molly, and a balloon ram in a 10 gallon tank. A few days he seemed to b bloated. I looke at pix of dropsy and he doesnt look like that. Hes been quite docile the last 2 days but still cones out looking for food etc and swims "normally". Hes got a red splotch between his legs (like where privates would be). And his skin is like loose, like u see rippling and waves when he swims in his skin...whats wrong w him? What can i do?! Please help. I love this lil guy!!!

ADF's will shed there skin. But usually if they start getting pink bellies or legs then you should do a water change. That might help. Otherwise he may just be shedding.

I dont think hes shedding. Ive read up on bloating and it sounds like hes got soft squishy bloat. Do u know anything about that?

I dont think hes shedding. Ive read up on bloating and it sounds like hes got soft squishy bloat. Do u know anything about that?

Sorry, I've never dealt with that. I know my ADF is very fat. Not sure if he eats to much or if they all get like that.

Bettaorr said:
Also do u have lots of hiding spot even if he's in a tank by himself u should still have them for him
Yea. Plenty of hiding. He retained more water over night. Hes all squishy. Pet store tested water and said that nitrates

Bettaorr said:
Also do u have lots of hiding spot even if he's in a tank by himself u should still have them for him
Yea. Plenty of hiding. He retained more water over night. Hes all squishy. Pet store tested water and said that nitrates are very high and to do a 30 percent water change paying attention to gravel...to b honest. Have neglected the water recently. I will b adding quick start and a water conditioner plus salt...thats how i used to do water changes. The last time i was at store they told me not do use quick start so i didnt. I should have listened to my gut and used it. I think that has attributed to the problem...its the only thing thats different. Also, i read online to try maroxy anti fungal for the bloating. But fish store said not to and to get water fixed. I dont know. Any suggestions?

Yea. Plenty of hiding. He retained more water over night. Hes all squishy. Pet store tested water and said that nitrates are very high and to do a 30 percent water change paying attention to gravel...to b honest. Have neglected the water recently. I will b adding quick start and a water conditioner plus salt...thats how i used to do water changes. The last time i was at store they told me not do use quick start so i didnt. I should have listened to my gut and used it. I think that has attributed to the problem...its the only thing thats different. Also, i read online to try maroxy anti fungal for the bloating. But fish store said not to and to get water fixed. I dont know. Any suggestions?

DO NOT use salt. That will be instant death. Just do 30 % water with safe water, change 2 times weekly for a few weeks and make sure to vac the substrate good to remove uneaten food.I would NOT suggest using any medication. Water changes and a close eye are the best medication.

Why not do 90% pwc and get the nitrates out of there, and if you still have a bad or poor level, then do another 90%. Get the level in safe numbers.

If you have a filter, make sure you rinse with filtered water and if you need to clean it that is fine, but don't use plain untreated water, and don't replace, because it kills the good bacteria. Also be careful and do not leave uneaten food in the tank, as it will ruin water quality.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom