Please help i have ich!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Robbieg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know that everyone who had an aquarium has to go through this and I guess it's my turn. I noticed a few white spots on my neon an hour ago. After a crash course reading up on ich I turned up my heater a few degrees and will ask my wife to raise it slightly when she gets home this evening. Here's where I need help everything on this forum suggesting raising the heat. Why do I want to avoid adding aquri-sol? Or any other treatment ? Isn't heat just speeding up the life cycle ? How do I use aquarium salt that kept coming up also. Thank you so much for you're advice and help looking forward to hearing from you.

You don't need meds to cure ich, especially if caught in the early stages.

Raise the heat to at least 86 degrees F.

Add an airstone to increase oxygenation.

Do gravel vacs every 2-3 days to remove ich spores from substrate.

Do the above for a minimum of 2 weeks AFTER the last spot has been seen on the fish.

Ok thanks, I have an air stone already. Should I bother with the salt ? Im assuming that there may be some casualties, right? This is my first tine with ich. Thank you again for you're quick reply .

Also should I try and remove the infected fish ? Or if one has it they all do

With ich, you must treat the entire tank.

Some use salt, some don't. I don't.

There might not be casualties. As long as you caught it early, and follow the plan, you should stay ahead of the game.

You do need to remember, though, that ich always gets worse before it gets better. ;)

I have had ick a few times over the years, soon as you notice them white spots... Crank that heater up over 85 and LARGE water changes daily until its cleared up. I also leave the heater up there for about a week after. And do water changes 2 times a week for the next few weeks. Then go back to my weekly routine.

Thanks for the advice I'll brace myself for it getting bad before it gets better, how bad are we talking ? Most of the community getting sick ?

So has anyone used salt to cure ich?

Yes, salt works quite well but its not suitable for all types of fish. Just as heat is not suitable for all types of fish. For example, goldfish do not tolerate heat treatment well (if at all). Salt (.3% salinity) is very effective means for treatment. What type of fish do you have?

All tropicals, raspboras, tetras, corys, gourami. They should be ok with the heat right ? What about the salt treatment ?

They should be fine with heat as long as you very gradually increase it. Cories will not fair as well with salt but Ill let the cory experts clarify this. Make sure you add lots of extra aeration because warm water holds less dissolved oxygen. Good luck!

Thanks I do have an airstone that would help right ? What about the Cory's

Thanks I do have an airstone that would help right ? What about the Cory's

Yep... Warmer water holds less oxygen than cooler, so an airstone promotes oxygen exchange. Scaleless fish will not do well with salt, so stick with the heat treatment and maintenance routines that's been mentioned. I treated it this way and within a week, the white spots were gone ... I still kept the heater at 88F for an additional week.

Ok thank you guys do much for the advice I'll keep you updated as things go along.

LyndaB said:
You don't need meds to cure ich, especially if caught in the early stages.

Raise the heat to at least 86 degrees F.

Add an airstone to increase oxygenation.

Do gravel vacs every 2-3 days to remove ich spores from substrate.

Do the above for a minimum of 2 weeks AFTER the last spot has been seen on the fish.

+1, I am going to take it a step further and suggest you crank it to 88 degrees f.

So tomorrow I'm planning on coming home from work to do a water change do I need to remove all of my decor and plants to ensure that I remove the possible dropped spores ?

One additional question Ive read that when the spores drop from the fish that's when an infection can happen, should I treat with something so they don't get infected ? I'm a little worried about the fish don't want to loose any of my friends .

I recommend not to treat with meds at all. Heat is tried and true. I have never lost a fish to ick, and trust me I've more than a handful of outbreaks. Stick to the regiment above and you'll be happy that you did :D

Don't bother with meds ... Heat will do the job ... Continually do PWC's and gravel vac. Any artificial ornaments you can remove and rinse if you'd ilke. When I treated my tank, I didn't move any DW, rocks plants ... I figured the fish would be stressed enough.

Thanks guys, not doing meds raised the temperature to 88, unfortunately i couldnt find the infected fish this am! When I get home at lunch time to do the water change I'll search through the drift wood and decor. On a positive note so far it doesn't appear that anyone else has it I'll be for certain at lunch time upon a better inspection. Hope I find the sick guy alive somewhere

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom