Please help ID this algae!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe try to turn off a bulb.

I have a 29g setup, I added a pressurized CO2 system. It's high reliable, needs no maintenance, and is set on a timer.

The only maintenance is when the cylinder is empty.

A good tricks I found to kill BBA, is:
1. Turn off any filtration / things that make flow.
2. Take a seringe and apply excel on the BBA.
3. Wait 15 mins
4. Apply 3% or 6% peroxyde on the BBAs
5. Wait 15 mins, you should see a lot of bubbles.
6. Turn back any equipement you turned off.

Wait 2-3 days, you will notice the BBA turn light pink or red, it means they're dying. Repeat this for every infestation.

Thank you for the info. I will have to try this. By peroxide, do you mean hydrogen peroxide, like the stuff I would use to disinfect cuts and whatnot? And how much peroxide should I use? Will my fish be okay?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is it just growing on your rocks or plants too?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you for the info. I will have to try this. By peroxide, do you mean hydrogen peroxide, like the stuff I would use to disinfect cuts and whatnot? And how much peroxide should I use? Will my fish be okay?

I use 3% hydrogen peroxyde, the thing you use to disinfect wounds.
I can easily put 30ml for my 29g, so I will say 1ml/gallon.
Half dose if you use 6%.

Make sure it's pure H2O2, I mean water and H2O2.

For the excel, you can dose the initial recommanded dose or less with the seringe. Make sure you don't put thoses chemicals on the fish, or they'll suffer.

I use 3% hydrogen peroxyde, the thing you use to disinfect wounds.
I can easily put 30ml for my 29g, so I will say 1ml/gallon.
Half dose if you use 6%.

Make sure it's pure H2O2, I mean water and H2O2.

For the excel, you can dose the initial recommanded dose or less with the seringe. Make sure you don't put thoses chemicals on the fish, or they'll suffer.

I will have to pick up some peroxide today on the way home from work. So as long as I put 1 ml/gallon of the peroxide at 3%, this will not negatively affect my fish? I don't want to dose the tank with peroxide only to find all my fish dead. I would hate that!

Thanks for all your help!

You can dose less than that but it just wont treat as large an area

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can dose less than that but it just wont treat as large an area

I'm sorry Sk3lly, can you please let me know what you are referring to? Are you referring to dosing the peroxide at 1ml/g?

I don't think you should do anything as this is a cichlid tank first and foremost, they will graze on that stuff all day long.. you're probably going to find your plants getting beat up anyways.. check out the member sonics tank.. all the rocks are covered in that purplish algae and it looks awesome and the fish love it. If you start getting algae on the plants than it may be worth spot treating but I don't think you will..

I don't think you should do anything as this is a cichlid tank first and foremost, they will graze on that stuff all day long.. you're probably going to find your plants getting beat up anyways.. check out the member sonics tank.. all the rocks are covered in that purplish algae and it looks awesome and the fish love it. If you start getting algae on the plants than it may be worth spot treating but I don't think you will..

Hey Brookster, I hope you're right. I would love it if I could just leave it for my fish to graze on. I was thinking of trying to treat it today as I noticed it starting to spread more on the rocks, but I guess I will leave it alone for now and see if it spreads to my plants. Is Sonics his username? I will have to look him up. I also thought my cichlids would graze on it, but am yet to see it happen. Will all cichlids graze on it? I have lake malawi peacocks/haps and some synodontis petricola catfish if that helps.

I'm sorry Sk3lly, can you please let me know what you are referring to? Are you referring to dosing the peroxide at 1ml/g?

Yes peroxide dosing. If you go at 1ml per gallon on say a 20g it gives you 20ml peroxide in a syringe to apply to a small area of bba. If you dose at 0.5ml per gallon then you will only have 10ml in a syringe so you can only treat a smaller area.

Clearer??

Yes peroxide dosing. If you go at 1ml per gallon on say a 20g it gives you 20ml peroxide in a syringe to apply to a small area of bba. If you dose at 0.5ml per gallon then you will only have 10ml in a syringe so you can only treat a smaller area.

Clearer??

Yes, thank you for clarifying!

Back
Top Bottom