Please help me decide before I buy water pumps?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marcos77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have a 18 Gallon tank with live rock. I know that I should have at least 180 gallons of flow. How many water pumps should I get and what brand would you recommend. How are Powersweaps? How would I place them in my tank? How would I get good surface agitation?

Thank you

I would recommend maxi jets, for that small a tank, I'd look at 600's and go with the number needed to get you up over 200-300 gph. (I'm a big believer in waterflow) You want the pumps to move alot of water but without directly blowing on the corals, let us know how many you get and we can help with placement, most put them in the back corners pointed at the center front of the tank, so it will bounce of the glass. For good surface agitation, have them blowing across the surface.

Actually two maxi 600's would be plenty. have 2 maxi 600' on a wvemaste pro in my 26 bow front and it is al the curret i woul ever need Te powersweeps usualy fail in 2-3 months.

I just purhased two of the maxi 600's from my LFS, they advised me that it would be too much flow but I didn't pay any attention. How should I place them, both on the bottom back corners of the tank facing the front? With both facing each other on the bottom how will I get good surface agitation? Would I need a third pump?

Back
Top Bottom