Please help me identify my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amyleigh89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi iv had these fish for a month or so, I don't remember what they are called, but I have a male and a female and I think they have had baby fishies!! The males a blue colour with red spots all over him, and he has bright yellow fins, hes long and sleek in shape, and the girl is a pale pink colour with no spots. I don't know how to upload photos just yet lol but will keep trying!!

amyleigh89 said:
Hi iv had these fish for a month or so, I don't remember what they are called, but I have a male and a female and I think they have had baby fishies!! The males a blue colour with red spots all over him, and he has bright yellow fins, hes long and sleek in shape, and the girl is a pale pink colour with no spots. I don't know how to upload photos just yet lol but will keep trying!!

Without photos, we can't do much. But it sounds like you've got some type of dwarf cichlid, or gourami. I don't know of any gouramis with yellow fins though. You could also post a link to a photo uploading website

Considering the colors, and the easy spawn it's definitely guppies.

thanks, these photos are of the male..

Attachments

• stevie wonder.jpg
    stevie wonder.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 274
  • stevie wonder 2.jpg
    stevie wonder 2.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 264
amyleigh89 said:
thanks, these photos are of the male..

Definitely not typical guppies at least. I personally don't know what it could be other than some dwarf cichlid, like i said originally.

and this is a bit closer, with the girl in front..

Attachments

• stevie wonder and marilyn monroe.jpg
    stevie wonder and marilyn monroe.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 262
It's not a guppy, not sure about the cichlids. What size tank are you keeping them in? Seems like a type of live bearer, perhaps a Molly.

amyleigh89 said:
hmm thanks :) will keep researching!!

Some expert will eventually chime in. I've just never seen it before.

Wow. That's so weird. There so bright like a fish bait! Lol.but I think it's a live bearer. The type- I'm not sure.it gave birth quickly probably to live young, if they laid eggs I'm sure you would of noticed.

Dylan5359 said:
It's not a guppy, not sure about the cichlids. What size tank are you keeping them in? Seems like a type of live bearer, perhaps a Molly.

Especially judging by the males tail, it isn't a Molly in my experience with them. I don't discount the possibility of I being a livebearer.

Killifish. Guys...it's a killifish. I'd have to get my killi book out to give you the positive ID but it's a killifish. Congrats.

I've never seen a killifish so, very cool. Thats a very pretty fish you have there.

we have a 130l tank, with neons, 4 rainbow fish, 2albino catfish and two guppies, they all coincide happily, and a few days ago i noticed some stuff at the top of the tank that looks like a bunch of silver hair (eggs??) and the two unidentified fish keep hanging around it.. then this morning i noticed 1 possibly 2 tiny little itty bitty fish hiding in the plants near the hair stuff..

Egg layers. Some are peat spawners, other are mop/clump/egg stickers some fewer are egg scatterers. I'm pretty sure he has the clump spawners. Peat spawners will breed by diving into peat and then laying their eggs. The eggs and peat need to be slightly dried for a month or two then rehydrated to hatch. This process will need to be repeated 2-3 times for a full brood.

And crepe gets it. Lol. Aren't they live bearers?

no,im fairly sure there like brine shrimp,they lay eggs which can survive out of water for really long,and hatch after being in water for a certain amount of time.

blue lyretail Killifish according to the pictures on wiki which are the same as mine, thanks everyone :)

Back
Top Bottom