Please help me sex my first apistos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennae

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi, I've had Oscars 20+ years ago but I was able to get these apistos iniridae free due to member points for my fish club. They are my first. These pictures are from when I was beginning to acclimate them. Are the males the darker fish?
When I figure out who is male can I put a single male in with some corys and no other fish? How aggressive are these fish? I was told there are most likely 2 males but I'm not positive and I want more info. I've been trying to read up on these fish so if there is a go to website I need to read or a book let me know please.
I've been feeding white worms and a little frozen brine and blood worms and they seriously love the whiteworms. There are a few very small guppy fry I couldn't catch in their tank. Will they eat them? I don't mind of they do. Actually I hope they do. I need a way to cull.
Thank you kindly!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1450131730150.jpg
    1450131730150.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 1450131741513.jpg
    1450131741513.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 65
Darker coloration are stress marks.

It's hard to tell based on the pictures, and how washed out they are. Once they settle in to a tank, try taking pics then. Gillie and Brooks should be able to chime in and offer more help

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They may eat them, probably not. It's a toss up really

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sure! The more we can all learn in one spot for those giving out info the better!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Yup, that's a great forum, Mike wise knows his stuff!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The guy front and center in the last pic is definitely male, but the others are too close together to really tell, but I do have my suspicions about the guy in the back with the red dorsal tips.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey Gillie I got 6 Hongslio..
I am growing them out in a 55g with quarter sized angels.
I am sure of one male.
Any and all advice for growing out and breeding is appreciated...
All info would be helpful as all listed is very generic IMO...
Right down to proper water if possible.
I have read many links and asked a few other places without answer yet...
Thanks

I added a small bag of peat last night during their water change. Today mine are out and about much more.

Hey Gillie I got 6 Hongslio..
I am growing them out in a 55g with quarter sized angels.
I am sure of one male.
Any and all advice for growing out and breeding is appreciated...
All info would be helpful as all listed is very generic IMO...
Right down to proper water if possible.
I have read many links and asked a few other places without answer yet...
Thanks

Grow them out like any other young fish, I assume they are not wild caught so they may also take quality flake with their bbs. As you already know soft water is best, I highly suggest getting some humic acid when you're ready to give them their own tanks. My tap water read 7.8 last night and with 2 ml of humic acid in a 15 gallon the ph is now a stable 6.8! My best advice would be to give them the same care that your rams get and you'll do just fine :thumbup:

I added a small bag of peat last night during their water change. Today mine are out and about much more.

Very nice! Get pics when you can and we'll see what you have.

Grow them out like any other young fish, I assume they are not wild caught so they may also take quality flake with their bbs. As you already know soft water is best, I highly suggest getting some humic acid when you're ready to give them their own tanks. My tap water read 7.8 last night and with 2 ml of humic acid in a 15 gallon the ph is now a stable 6.8! My best advice would be to give them the same care that your rams get and you'll do just fine [emoji106]

I'm in a pinch so I'm doing peat and ial. I'll take some readings soon. I'll try to get pics now. Bad lighting in their area for pictures.
Organic humic acid is sold all over the net btw. I bet a garden store near me would have it. It's a specialty shop. I think I need to prepare water for changes ahead of time for Qatar changes and get yet another heater. Lol

One has a stripe going from top of head to bottom of head through his eye area. Only one has this that I can see. These are the best pics I can get of him right now.

Attachments

• 1450227912958.jpg
    1450227912958.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 39
  • 1450227934470.jpg
    1450227934470.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 1450227950074.jpg
    1450227950074.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 45
One has a stripe going from top of head to bottom of head through his eye area. Only one has this that I can see. These are the best pics I can get of him right now.

Based on shape, the black edge on the ventral find and the seemingly yellowish color, I would say that is a female.

Must get decent pics! OK so back to the drawing board

Ok so why does only one fish have the stripe over the eye. Will the others develope this? These are the best pics I've been able to get when they were eating their white worms. It's funny because the guppy fry try to eat them too. Pardon all the dirt. I siphon it up every other day but the worms are in peat and very hard to separate from the peat.

Attachments

• 1450299045324.jpg
    1450299045324.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 1450299055695.jpg
    1450299055695.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 47
  • 1450299069265.jpg
    1450299069265.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 1450299083362.jpg
    1450299083362.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 46
Pic 1 is female, 2 male, 3 m/f, 4 female. The stripe will come and go depending on their mood, but females usually retain it as normal patterning. Any of the fish with orange lips are male.

Pic 1 is female, 2 male, 3 m/f, 4 female. The stripe will come and go depending on their mood, but females usually retain it as normal patterning. Any of the fish with orange lips are male.

Some of the pictured fish are the same just different views. Orange lips helps alot! I will check them all.

Back
Top Bottom