Please Help Me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah_hart81

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there. So I am brand new to this hobby and could really use some help. Yesterday I bought a 29 gallon aquarium off craig's list. I had planned on making it a goldfish tank, done all my extensive research, but yesterday when I picked up the tank my carefully laid plans went out the window. The kid who was selling it asked if I wanted the fish too. In truth I didn't, but they were all going to be condemned to death crowded in an unfiltered 2 gal jar unless I did soooo now I need a new plan and a lot of advice. The fish I rescued are 2 jeweled cichlids, 1 silver molly, 1 otocinclus catfish, 1 african dwarf frog and 1 other small catfish I don't recognize. I think it might be a cory, but I'm not 100%. The only tanks I have are a 10 gal and the new 29 gal, neither of which are cycled as I had not intended to stock them right away. I know the jeweled cichlids will be mean. I've aready seen them picking on the frog and the molly, the catfish they don't seem to care about though. So I'm thinking I should move the frog and the molly to my 10 gal and keep the jewled cichlids and catfish to the 29 gal, and do a 50% water change every week until the cycling is complete. Does that sound right? I am completely new to this, but I hate to see any living thing die and I want to give these guys the best chance. Follow up, down the road question, if the catfish I saved is indeed a cory I know it will be happier in a school. Can I keep a small school of cories will the jeweled cichlids or will they just kill them all off? Right now they don't mess with him, but they're very new and both small (1 is and inch and a half, the other is about 2 inches). Any advice would be sooo greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Congrats on the purchase. First step is a liquid water test kit. You will be testing ammonia, nitrite and nitrate everyday until you see the first two rise and drop back down to zero. You should then see nitrates rise as well.

During this time you should change the water anytime the levels rise above the safety zone. Let's say your ammonia is at .5, if you did a 50% water change that will only get you to .25 ppm which is the line for safe zone (I believe). You would need to plan on a second water change the next day to get below the .25 ppm l, or instead of the 50% you could do a 75-80% change. There are different schools of thought here.

You will find yourself doing a few (more than one) water changes until you hit the nitrite transition. At that point I was doing water changes every other day and sometimes every day. But I have a ten gallon I was cycling that was mostly stocked. It is not easy, but worth it. Anything you can do to make the water changes easier is worth it.

Good luck. The advice you get from the people here is excellent. They helped me through an unexpected fish-in cycle for my little girls.

I thought I would add that you can get the API master test kit on Amazon for as low as $18. That is what I paid for my first kit shipped. Just do a search.

Welcome to AA!

Did the 29 gallon come with a filter? If so, and if you got it set up in a reasonable amount of time, there is a good chance the tank is still cycled (assuming it was in the first place). As others have mentioned, a test kit would be a good idea.

If you do not want the fish, try calling around to some local shops and see if you can rehome them.

The jewels will need a later tank unless you plan on breeding them, which is easy. They'll breed in a toilet bowl! But I suggest removing them and adding something else. Welcome to the hobby!

Hi there. So I am brand new to this hobby and could really use some help. Yesterday I bought a 29 gallon aquarium off craig's list. I had planned on making it a goldfish tank, done all my extensive research, but yesterday when I picked up the tank my carefully laid plans went out the window. The kid who was selling it asked if I wanted the fish too. In truth I didn't, but they were all going to be condemned to death crowded in an unfiltered 2 gal jar unless I did soooo now I need a new plan and a lot of advice. The fish I rescued are 2 jeweled cichlids, 1 silver molly, 1 otocinclus catfish, 1 african dwarf frog and 1 other small catfish I don't recognize. I think it might be a cory, but I'm not 100%. The only tanks I have are a 10 gal and the new 29 gal, neither of which are cycled as I had not intended to stock them right away. I know the jeweled cichlids will be mean. I've aready seen them picking on the frog and the molly, the catfish they don't seem to care about though. So I'm thinking I should move the frog and the molly to my 10 gal and keep the jewled cichlids and catfish to the 29 gal, and do a 50% water change every week until the cycling is complete. Does that sound right? I am completely new to this, but I hate to see any living thing die and I want to give these guys the best chance. Follow up, down the road question, if the catfish I saved is indeed a cory I know it will be happier in a school. Can I keep a small school of cories will the jeweled cichlids or will they just kill them all off? Right now they don't mess with him, but they're very new and both small (1 is and inch and a half, the other is about 2 inches). Any advice would be sooo greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ottocinclus are schooling.
See fish plant profiles, corydoras for how to keep them.
Mollies prefer brackish to be healthy.

African Dwarf Frog Housing and Feeding dwarf frog care

The Cory can sting.

Ottos 10g 5+

Cory 29g 5+

Cichlids? Ask someone else, sorry.

I am really surprised water testing was the first piece of advice... but anyways.

So you have fish that you didn't want. First step is to find homes for them. Most Local Fish shops will take fish back on donation some will even offer store credit. The fish you have in there aren't a good mix and some shouldn't be in a tank that small. Others of your mix should be kept in large groups. So Rehoming is the first issue.

After you have re homed your fish then you drain the tank set it up the way you want and then start from there. You stated you wanted goldfish they are great fish to start with. I highly recommend Goldfish.

You do not need to do a month of fishless cycling as some would suggest. Gold fish will be fine after the water has been sitting for 24 hours. They have high bio loads and fishless cycling isnt going to prepare a tank for that. You wont be able to do more than two in a tank that size.

Ottocinclus are schooling.
See fish plant profiles, corydoras for how to keep them.
Mollies prefer brackish to be healthy.

African Dwarf Frog Housing and Feeding dwarf frog care

The Cory can sting.

Ottos 10g 5+

Cory 29g 5+

Cichlids? Ask someone else, sorry.

I have nothing meaningful to add to your post but I find it very funny that you mentioned cories sting. Very random lol

The advice above about goldfish is incorrect (sorry). You will need to cycle the tank and IMO shouldnt even have 1 goldfish in that size tank let alone 2. Goldfish are VERY dirty fish. However you could probably swing one fancy type if you do water changes very often. I do not recomend goldies for a beginner.
You do not need to fishless cylce but if you dont it will mean almost daily water changes for a couple weeks. If you do fishless then you should dose extra ammonia to prep for the goldie. Hope this helps!

Oh and if the fish are not to large petsmart will probably take them free or an lfs may give you some credit.

I have nothing meaningful to add to your post but I find it very funny that you mentioned cories sting. Very random lol

The advice above about goldfish is incorrect (sorry). You will need to cycle the tank and IMO shouldnt even have 1 goldfish in that size tank let alone 2. Goldfish are VERY dirty fish. However you could probably swing one fancy type if you do water changes very often. I do not recomend goldies for a beginner.
You do not need to fishless cylce but if you dont it will mean almost daily water changes for a couple weeks. If you do fishless then you should dose extra ammonia to prep for the goldie. Hope this helps!

Oh and if the fish are not to large petsmart will probably take them free or an lfs may give you some credit.

Do your research, the first ray on the dorsal fin of species Corydoradinae contain a barb that will sting. It is not random or funny it is true. I advise it because I know it. They are armoured catfish.

Do your research, the first ray on the dorsal fin of species Corydoradinae contain a barb that will sting. It is not funny it is true. I advise it because I know it.

Hey I wasnt criticsing I thought it was funny! I also know it is true! I have never been stung and heard of very few people who have but they can sting. Plecos and otocinclus can too.

It is most certainly something to consider if you suffer from Anaphylaxis.
That can potentially kill. How funny would that be?

Um Im sorry? I still dont understand what I did wrong but sorry?

Hey I wasnt criticsing I thought it was funny! I also know it is true! I have never been stung and heard of very few people who have but they can sting. Plecos and otocinclus can too.

Some Loricariidae have barbs called scutes. As far as I know they are non stinging ie contain no poison, the sensation may be considered to sting but no poison is released. The barb on a Cory will release a poison similar to a nettle or bee sting.

Um Im sorry? I still dont understand what I did wrong but sorry?

It's ok, I'm trying to give the best advice I can, I did think perhaps you were mocking. There is no need to apologise I meant nothing bad to you, I was just highlighting something I consider to be important.

Peace love and good happiness stuff!(y)

It's ok, I'm trying to give the best advice I can, I did think perhaps you were mocking. There is no need to apologise I meant nothing bad to you, I was just highlighting something I consider to be important.

Peace love and good happiness stuff!(y)

Thats alright. I was just confused what I did lol I will be honest I didnt know cories were venomous. I knew they could "sting" but didnt know about the venom. I also didnt know it could be dangerous but I guess it makes sense if someone has an allergy.

Thats alright. I was just confused what I did lol I will be honest I didnt know cories were venomous. I knew they could "sting" but didnt know about the venom. I also didnt know it could be dangerous but I guess it makes sense if someone has an allergy.

I hate text because it can be misconstrued, we both did that!
It's not bad, my experience is it bumps up like a nettle sting or maybe a bee sting, that's how I found out. When I net fish I used to support them, then I got a bumpy hand after moving 20+ corydoras! some research later. . . Turns out they sting.

It sounds like the kid had no idea what they were doing when choosing fish to put in the tank. If I were you, I would definitely consider taking them to a local shop- I don't think that any place like Petsmart or Petco will take them, so you should look for a ma and pa pet store. They will be put in with fish of the same type, and then you can keep your plan and not feel bad. :)
Welcome to fish keeping!
And I always knew that plecos had the stinging barb, I guess it makes sense that a cory does too! :)

This post is full of wrong info (sorry back to you). Gold fish are slow growers 2 fancy gold fish will be fine for about 2 years in a 29 gallon. Then you will need to upgrade. how dirty a fish is has nothing to do with the size of a tank but how much filtration you need.

Daily water changes are not and will not be needed. gold fish are hardy fish and do fine in newly established tanks. People back in the day used to use gold fish to cycle tanks. I do water changes every other Saturday and my water is fine.

My daughters tank has a black moore and a fan tail in a 20 long. She has had the same fish in the same tank for 2 years we are going to upgrade her to a 55 this winter.

I remember when my sister had a bunch of fancy goldfish in a 29 gallon tank. They did fine and she had them for years and years. Another sister took in two feeder goldfishes that my brother-in-law had used for fishing. They were just little things but grew to be around 8 inches. She kept buying bigger and bigger tanks and they kept getting bigger and bigger. A few years ago a fisherman caught a goldfish in the Big Sandy River near my home. That fish was huge. Goldfish must be pretty tough. Dang it! now I want a goldfish tank. LOL

This post is full of wrong info (sorry back to you). Gold fish are slow growers 2 fancy gold fish will be fine for about 2 years in a 29 gallon. Then you will need to upgrade. how dirty a fish is has nothing to do with the size of a tank but how much filtration you need.

Daily water changes are not and will not be needed. gold fish are hardy fish and do fine in newly established tanks. People back in the day used to use gold fish to cycle tanks. I do water changes every other Saturday and my water is fine.

My daughters tank has a black moore and a fan tail in a 20 long. She has had the same fish in the same tank for 2 years we are going to upgrade her to a 55 this winter.

We will have to agree to disagree. Just because they will survive doesnt mean its right. I can pour battery acid on your arm and it wont kill you but isnit right? An uncycled tank has alot of ammonia which can cause ammonia burns even at a nonlethal dose.

Jm its all good. Text stinks lol

Back
Top Bottom