Please Help Me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is my fish pregnate?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

XavierK

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a few mollies and I can't tell if there pregnant?
Thanks for your help!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 88
She does look gravid. I can't tell if she has a gravid spot as she is a Dalmatian Molly. You said you have other mollies. Do you have pics?

Thanks and ya tryingImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1390941095.931655.jpg to get a good pic hope this helpe

They both look like gravid females to me. The gravid spot isn't a telltale indicator of whether or not the fish is gravid. If you look up 'fish gravid spot' on google, check out the first result that comes up. As the people on that thread said, some fish will never get a gravid spot, and you can't see it on others (for example, you can't see it on a black Molly), so you mostly have to rely on symptoms such as size of fish, appetite, and activity.

When they square off like \_/ from the side and look like (__) from the front you know they will give birth in something like 1-2 days.

Are you saying there sides expand? Like when your looking at their eyes?

You will also notice when she is ready to drop fry whenever she is hanging out towards the bottom of the tank and kind of towards any plants/decor.

Yeah they look like they're gonna burst and they will act different, like greenlilly said.

That second fish is a mollie platy hybrid.

I don't think such a fish exists. And if it did it wouldn't be having babies.

Platies are in the genus Xiphophorous.
Mollies are in the genus Poecilia.

They are both in the same family, Poeciliidae, but that doesn't mean they can hybridize. They may have different amounts of chromosomes, etc. I think the fish you think is a Molly/platy is just a different colored Molly. Just my 2¢

Are you saying they look like they will or they are gonna burst

Back
Top Bottom