please help my albino african clawed frog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaronjohn20

Aquarium Advice Freak
Took him out of my community tank cause I was tired of moons coming up missing. Put him in a 10 gallon (walmart 10 gallon kit, dinky hob) just until my 20 gallon is up and cycled. He hasn't been in there but MAYBE 2 weeks. Just did a 20% water change yesterday. His one leg looks alittle rotted or something like that. Can anyone tell me what I can do to help or what it is that is wrong with him?

Ok that doesn't look too bad so far. It should be able to recover. I don't think it's disease, though it's possible. Clean water is going to be crucial. Did you cycle the tank or transfer filter media from your other tank to the new filter? Have you been testing the water parameters? I'm guessing it has been burned by ammonia. Can you test for ammo?

siva said:
Ok that doesn't look too bad so far. It should be able to recover. I don't think it's disease, though it's possible. Clean water is going to be crucial. Did you cycle the tank or transfer filter media from your other tank to the new filter? Have you been testing the water parameters? I'm guessing it has been burned by ammonia. Can you test for ammo?

I transfered filter media. Ammo is around .5. I have this guy along with an inch and a half oscar in a 10g. Am setting up a 20g as we speak. I guess its possible to be burned by ammo. Haven't been keeping up with pwc's like a 10g should be cause I've been busy lately. Thanks for the help. I'm just gonna have to buckle down and do daily pwc's, keep close watch on the ammo and see if this starts to go away.

Ok, I really do think it's the prolonged exposure to ammo. Get as much cycled media in the filter for the 20 as possible, and with just the ACF in there, you should be able to avoid a mini cycle. Keep a close eye on the parameters though and do a large water change daily as long as there is any ammo in there. Once in clean water it should start to heal fast. If the wounds get worse at all you'll need to do a round of anti-biotics, such as tetracycline. Good luck! :)

Will do and thank you. Do u think I should put half the water from the 10 into the 20 or just new water all together? What about sum decor? They have bb on them too correct?

Yes, decor can bring a little BB. Definitely new water. Even if it was free of ammo, the water holds very very little BB.

Put the decor in from the 10g into the 20g. Used 1 new filter and one seeded filter from my 46g. Now my 46g has one seeded filter and one new also. Figured that'd be my best bet since I want to hurry and get him out of the 10g. I want to use the gravel from the 10g but I want to rinse it first. Is there anyway to do this and not kill the bb?

That's exactly what I would have done. You could slosh the gravel around in some dechlorinated water, but more extensive cleaning would prob destroy most of it. With the seeded filter media you're using I wouldn't worry too much about BB on the gravel. If it needs cleaned thoroughly now's your good chance to do it so you might as well.

Will do. Decided to keep the gravel out for the time being. I almost like it with no gravel.

ForumRunner_20120518_023111.jpg

Yeah I like it for a couple days before you can see all the crap sitting on the bottom lol. Cute froggy. ;)

Well that's actually what I am aiming for. Easier to see, easier too clean. Just till he gets better

Bout the same unfortunately. Been keeping water changes up to date and using stress coat, but it's not working

Nope. Its about the same. Not sure what to do now. I know plenty about fish but not so much about aquatic frogs

It's OK, just keep doing what you're doing. No ammo in the water and give it time. This will probably take some weeks. I just want to make sure nothing is getting worse. Keep an eye out for anything cottony looking around the wounds. Also cloudy eyes, refusing to eat, lethargy, and swimming issues.

Back
Top Bottom