Please help my fish are dying!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HTL1799

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 30 gallon tank that has been established for over 6 months. About 1 month ago I noticed algae growing in my tank. I thought it was strange because I do regular water changes and had never seen algae in the tank before. Everything else seemed fine so I figured I would go buy some "algae eaters." I purchased 2 rubbernose plecos from the local store and added them to my tank. For the next week or so everything seemed fine. My fish were acting normal and healthy. About a week ago I found one of the plecos dead, and 2 days later the other one died. After that, some of my fish were acting very lethargic. The mollies and swordtails would just sit at the bottom of the tank. They would move around sometimes, but not like normal. The 2 Gouramis in the tank seem very healthy and normal. In the last 4 days I have lost 1 molly, 1 striped raphael catfish, and a snail.

It looks to me like the catfish and swordtail may have ich. I can faintly see little bumps hanging off the edges of their fins. They do not have white bumps on their bodies though. The other 2 gouramis and 2 mollies do not look like they have ich, although the mollies seem less active than they used to be.

As I said before it is a 30 gallon tank. Before all this happened there were 2 gouramis, 4 mollies, 1 sword tails, 2 striped raphael catfish, and of course the 2 rubbernose plecos I recently added. The filter is an Aquatech 40g filter and the temp is 76

I have done a big water change and tested the water. Here's what the water condition is right now:
pH 7.4-7.8
alkalinity: 80
total hardness: 75
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 40

The water is clear and does not smell, aside from the algae stuck to the glass.

What should I do? I don't know if this happened because of the algae bloom or because I added the 2 new fish. If this isn't ich what could it be?

I would suggest getting the Nitrate lower. I always like to keep my levels as close to 10 as possible. I do a water change at the first hint of red in my test tube.

What is the nitrate level coming from your tap?

40 seems quite high if you just did a substantial water change. For example, if you did a 50% water change that would lead me to guess nitrate levels were like 80 before the change.

I would suggest getting the Nitrate lower. I always like to keep my levels as close to 10 as possible. I do a water change at the first hint of red in my test tube.

What is the nitrate level coming from your tap?

40 seems quite high if you just did a substantial water change. For example, if you did a 50% water change that would lead me to guess nitrate levels were like 80 before the change.

Thanks for the reply.
The 50% water change was done 5 days ago. I am going to do another water change/gravel vac tonight. But your right, lowering the nitrate would help. I will test it again after this water change

What is your ammonia level & what type of test are you using to check your parameters (liquid or strips)? I suspect you may have had a spike in ammonia and/or nitrite when you introduced the 2 new fish & this may possibily been the reason behind your fish deaths. I also suspect the 2 new fish may have introduced something into your tank such as ich that may be a factor in this as well. If your remaining fish are showing signs of ich, you will need to treat the entire tank.

if you thinks its ich raise the temp to 86 and keep i there for a least ten days after the last spots dissapear you can also add salt. I agree try to get your nitrates down they should never pas 20ppm IMO. can you post your ammonia reading. did any of the lfs fish have ich

Thank you all for replying.

I just did a 40-45% water change/gravel vac. The test I am using is the 5 in 1 strips. Looks like they don't test for ammonia. :facepalm: Ill pick up a kit that tests for ammonia tomorrow. Im trying to upload this close-up of my catfish. After getting a really good look at him, there really aren't clear white spots. His color used to be jet black, but he looks dull and speckled grey. Im not sure if its ich or not.

img0295qq.jpg

img0295qq.jpg

img0299me.jpg

HTL1799 said:
Thank you all for replying.

I just did a 40-45% water change/gravel vac. The test I am using is the 5 in 1 strips. Looks like they don't test for ammonia. :facepalm: Ill pick up a kit that tests for ammonia tomorrow. Im trying to upload this close-up of my catfish. After getting a really good look at him, there really aren't clear white spots. His color used to be jet black, but he looks dull and speckled grey. Im not sure if its ich or not.

Go to amazon and buy an API freshwater test kit. The strips aren't reliable. Sounds like he's stressed out. Maybe due to bad water

I think I will buy a better testing kit soon. But as a quick fix, I went to walmart and picked up an ammonia test kit (strips). Unfortunately, while I was out the striped catfish died. :( The ammonia test said 0.25 ppm. Im really bummed out, those catfish were our favorite. The other fish look more active since the water change/gravel vac tho. So I guess ill treat the tank for ich?

All you need is to turn the heater up to 86° for about 2 weeks vacuuming the gravel a good bit. You should do a 50-75% wc now.

Back
Top Bottom