Please help stock my 225 gallon tank - I'm not familiar with larger fish. Need ideas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
haha aw man that blood parrot needs to hold his name up and start pokin' back at that gourami!lol :D Glad you had the opportunity to adapt all those awesome fish and nurse them back to health! You have a great group! And I'm with you on keeping the to and gourami together. Even when I'm at a lfs planning to buy a fish I can't separate fish that seem attached to each other. I need to get myself a 200 gallon.. only problem is where to put it lol..

Jeffekins said:
haha can't say I blame them either :p what's more aggressive you think? the tiger oscar or the albino oscar?

I have a tiger, a red and an albino, they are all just as mental as each other, but they have all been in together since they were tiny. I don't think any is more aggressive than the other, but the albino certainly thinks she is the boss!
There is also a Pleco in there with them, and he can certainly hold his own if the oscars are in a bad mood!

If you want personality and since you have a large tank you could always get an Adonis Pleco. They are very large, the average is 2', but the can and do get up to 3.5'. It's been said that the min. tank size is 125g but I think that's being unrealistic. I wouldn't put an Adonis in anything smaller than 200g, so your 250 would be OK.
They are Black with white spots when they are Juvi's, but the spots fade as they age. By the time they reach adulthood they are a solid shiny black and gorgeous. They can be skiddish at times but when they do come out to play the are clowns. They are best kept just one per a tank, they are territorial with their own kind.
Here are a few examples of the Adonis Pleco. The top 2 are Juvi's and the bottom 2 are Adult's, the last having be caught in the wild. Which is why he is as large as he is.
If I were able to have a tank large enough for one of these, I wouldn't think twice about getting one. They are an awesome center piece fish.
One last thing, they go through driftwood like a Beaver does trees.

Attachments

• Juvi Adonis.jpg
    Juvi Adonis.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Adonis Pleco-juvi.jpg
    Adonis Pleco-juvi.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 74
  • Adult Adonis L-555.jpg
    Adult Adonis L-555.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Black-Adonis-Pleco aka Lyre Tail Pleco, 125g+.jpg
    Black-Adonis-Pleco aka Lyre Tail Pleco, 125g+.jpg