Please help with lighting for a 29 G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

justsomedude89

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im sort of lost when it comes to lighting for my 29 Gallon tank i didnt know where to start with the fixtures so i just researched plants that i like and figured u guys and gals could help from there.

i want to do medium light plants such as Amazon Sword Micro Sword, Anubias Nana, Java Fern, Red Cryptocoryne or Green Cryptocoryne, Water Sprite, Anacharis, and Cabomba.

My question is what fixture should i run with these plants. i would like to not run CO2 right away if possible but i still would like a fixture that can grow some harder plants with CO2when i become more experienced.

links to online places to buy the fixtures would be a big help!

Thanks in advance

I would aim for 44-58 watts. This would be enough to give you lots of plant options (including what you've already chosen) while avoiding the need for carbon supplementating. Since you're talking about possibly upgrading later, then make sure to get a fixture that has multiple switches so that you can run upto 58 watts now, but with a flip of a switch you can add more light to bump you into the 78+ watt range.

I really like Tri Ciy Tropicals for their refurb Current fixtures. It's a great value and mine works great after two years of daily use. Unfortunately it looks like their site's being rewritten and is currently unavailable.

what are your opinions on this?
Nova Extreme HO Light Fixture - 2 x 24W - T5 - 10,000K - 30 in.

Launch your freshwater or planted aquarium to the next extreme with Nova Extreme dual T5HO aquarium lighting. This amazing aquarium lighting fixture utilizes European-style high-output T5 lamps to deliver energy efficient lighting to your freshwater aquarium. Integrated performance driven electronic ballasts, slim design, and German parabolic reflectors make this the ideal choice for your freshwater aquarium lighting requirements. Powerful HO bulbs are driven to their maximum potential: attaining a lamp life up to two years! Each fixture includes two SlimPaq high output T5 lamps: one at 10,000K daylight and one pink plant growth lamp; to meet your freshwater or planted aquarium's requirements perfectly. Light output exceeds any aquarium lighting system in its class.

heres the cheapest price i could find. is this a good deal?
Current USA Nova Extreme T5 HOx2

yes thats a good deal and I think that fixture would be just fine, even after adding CO2 you'll just get better growth.

do they make higher wattage bulbs that i could swap into this fixture to increase the WPG if i wanted to do higher light plants and CO2?

you wont be able to put higher wattage bulbs into that fixture. each fixture has a specific wattage determined by the ballast. you would have to add another fixture to increase the total wattage. you can get one with 4 bulbs with 2 switches and just use half of it until you're ready to go with co2.

what about this?
Compact Fluorescent Aquarium Lighting: Dual Satellite Compact Fluorescent Fixtures

High light output compact fluorescent light fixture and LED Lunar Light in one. Simulate natural 24-hour day and night light cycle or provide custom light periods to suit the specific lighting requirements of your aquarium inhabitants. Two switches and three power cords allow independent light control simply by plugging the power cords into timers. Built-in fan (except 12" Model) provides additional ventilation to extend fixture life and increase performance. Advanced electronic ballast ensures consistent high performance and low energy consumption. Features an acrylic splash guard to protect bulbs and a durable low profile aluminum housing for years of reliable use. Moon White Lunar Light produces a crisp white glow that simulates nocturnal light conditions for optimum nighttime viewing. Includes Dual Daylight 6,700°K/10,000°K and Dual Actinic 420 nanometer and 460 nanometer bulbs. Square pin system.

is it true that actinic light doesnt do much for plants? also would i be able to remove the actinic bulb and replace it with another 6700K / 10000K bulb

Most people feel that actinic bulbs dont do much if anything for plants some figure its like 20% of the wattage or so being used by the plants compared to a daylight bulb. Personally I have no idea, lol.

The other thing you have to remember is the WPG rule doesnt work for T5 lights it was thought up for T12 bulbs.

Personally I would try 2 of these fixtures for cheap and just use the 1 for now, then both for CO2.
Coralife F/W T-5 Aqualight Double Strip Light-30

So this would be ~1.5wpg in my thinking per fixture

i think you be very happy with the nova extreame HO i have both big difference in light from them

personally i would go with the first one you picked, the nova extreme. it would put you in the medium-low light area that will open up your options to more plant variety and not have to deal with the co2 from the start but would noticeably benefit from co2 should you add it later. and if you need more light after you add co2 for those higher light demanding plants you could add a second of the same fixture.

thanks guys! really appreciate the help. im goin to order it today. one last question i have regular aquarium gravel in the tank right now should i use a different substrate or will this be ok starting out?

Reg gravel will grow plants ok but if you going on the higher tech side you can benefit from a better substrate

As long as the gravel isn't overly large or you are sticking to plants (like Anubias and Java Fern) that are tied to wood and rocks, the gravel should work just fine.

Back
Top Bottom