Please Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

potterk2010

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I am new to fish keeping. I bought a 46 gal bowfront tank about 4 weeks ago and added 12 guppy feeder fish about 3 weeks ago. I have a marieneland emperor 400 filter with the bio wheels. When I started the tank I used the bacteria starter. I have 10 guppy fry in there now that are about 3 weeks along with 2 glo fish and 5 of the twelve guppy feeder fish and a small catfish. I only added the glofish and catfish about 3 days ago. I have a API master test kit and test the water regularly as well as do water changes of 10 percent once a week. I have had a maximum of amonia of .25 one time with no nitrites and no nitragtes ever. Is my tank cycling at all my fish seem happy and healthy and have no problems. The water is really clear and my 4 live plants are doing great. Please help me if I am doing something wrong or if it takes longer to cycl. I thought we would at least have some kind of amonia startng by now. I also have 2 bettas each in their own 3 gallon tank and there cycles have already started and are done. We wanted to return the feeder guppy and fry to the store and start to create our community tank. Please help.

Can you test the PH in the tank and let us know what it is? Very low PH's can inhibit the cycle. It's possible the PH has crashed from the buffers being used up. A larger water change should fix this if it's the problem.

I tested the ph it is 7.6 it has always been a little high but others suggested the fish do best if you just leave their ph stable instead of adding ph reducers. I did take about half the water and a quarter of the gravel today to start a new tank so I will recheck the levels tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom