Please HELP!!! :/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyBusiness

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just got my first chiclids and they are acclimating now. Their waters alkalinity (kh) is off the charts where mine is just above normal. Their ph is 8.4 and mine is looks just below 7.8. I have added my aquarium water 2x in the last 20 min after leaving them float in tank for 15. Water still reads the same as from the store. I don't want to shock my new fishes but I can't leave them in the bags all night! Please help?! Do I add water once more then put them in and see how they do? I do have hard water and ph is more alkaline it just not as high as the stores...

Very slowly take some water out of the bags ( like a cup at a time) replace this water with water from your tank.Do this over about 2 hours and the water in the bags will slowly change to the same as in your tank.Hey presto fish acclimatise gently.

FishyBusiness said:
Just got my first chiclids and they are acclimating now. Their waters alkalinity (kh) is off the charts where mine is just above normal. Their ph is 8.4 and mine is looks just below 7.8. I have added my aquarium water 2x in the last 20 min after leaving them float in tank for 15. Water still reads the same as from the store. I don't want to shock my new fishes but I can't leave them in the bags all night! Please help?! Do I add water once more then put them in and see how they do? I do have hard water and ph is more alkaline it just not as high as the stores...

I don't think your gonna shock them. Awesome that you took the time though to try and match it. When I get my cichlids home I float the bag, add some tank water float a little more then add.

Stability is the key. The little fluctuation I don't think will harm them. They will adapt. My pH is always 8.0-8.2. Do you have buffer? If you add some buffer that will help or get yourself some crushed coral, put it in a media bag and put it in your filter. I have a medium sized media bag with crushed coral that I put in my AC110.

What's your tap water pH? Just curious. That will tell you how much buffer you'll need. But again stability is key. Going high and low, low to high is what will stress the fish.

Hopefully more experienced cichlid keepers will chime in.

Hope this helps.

My tap is looks between 7-7.5. I don't think that's too low compared to the ph of 8.2 (I think that's what it is, can't remember now...) of Petsmart. I am worried about the alkalinity. Petsmarts water was close to 300 KH and mine is about 100!

FishyBusiness said:
My tap is looks between 7-7.5. I don't think that's too low compared to the ph of 8.2 (I think that's what it is, can't remember now...) of Petsmart. I am worried about the alkalinity. Petsmarts water was close to 300 KH and mine is about 100!

Not sure I can be much help but I never check alk in my 75 gallon Cichlid tank. pH, trates, trites, ammonia and sometimes phosphates if I'm getting algae.

I use buffer that's all I use when I do a huge water change. Other then that I use nothing.

Was just re reading back and convict said put crushed coral in the filter? I'm also running the aquaclear 110. Would the best place for the crushed coral be where the carbon would go? Also how often should, if ever, have to be replaced?

I wouldn't worry about trying to buffer your water.A steady tank is better for the fish.You might end up chasing your parameters.I would just leave it as it is.

Ok. I did buy some carved tufa rock and some lace rock from the store when I got my fish. Will they change any of my parameters like limestone and crushed coral? It's only been in the tank couple hours and it's still the same as always but if it's in there longer and it'll be bad I'll take it out.

Yea I do that because my tap is low. That's why I asked what your tap water was testing at. I use the crushed coral in the media bag and it works out just fine. If needed.

Was just an idea if you wanted to buffer and maintain a higher pH and were having trouble doing so.

Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it in mind if I have issues. I put my lil cuties in their new 90 gallon! I have:

5 electric yellows (2m 3f)
3 acei (1m 2 f)
1 bumble bee
1 red zebra (I think? It's a $4 orange one from Petsmart) the guy wasn't sure.

I know I can get more but wonder how many more? I have 2 pictus now that when these get bigger (smallest one is an inch and biggest one is 1.5") I have to put in here too. Hope it works, I've heard they do okay with the more mild aggressive Africans. Any suggestions on what other species I can add later? Maybe new ones or add more of what I've got? Sorry to break my thread!

Sorry the pics are so dark, you can really only see the yellow labs. I have the "moon" light on so I could see in the dark room to make sure their doing okay for a while longer. I'm SO excited!!!

Attachments

• image-2229822478.jpg
    image-2229822478.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 78
  • image-3402694590.jpg
    image-3402694590.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 84
  • image-531762088.jpg
    image-531762088.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 79
Ideally you want a male to female ratio of one male to 3 or 4 females this saves individual females from being hounded to death by the males.You can definately add more fish.For a 90 I would say 15 to 20 fish total would be a good number.Sounds a lot but I'd say it's about right for your tank.
Your choice of fish so far is good.I would just keep an eye on the bumblebee as this fish is an extremely aggressive mbuna.There are exceptions but genarally they are super aggressive.Your festherfins should be fine.I would have added them first personally as when you add new fish to a mbuna tank they have to run the gauntlet so to speak as mbuna are very territorial and sometimes kill newcomers.Turn out your lights when you add new fish it will help with the introduction of new fish.

I added them all at once. I didn't have any fish in the tank before last night. I really need more large rocks and I can't seem to find any online or at the stores. I see them online in setups and YouTube though. I'm assuming they make their own which is what I'll have to do. I'll add more in a couple weeks. Are the 2 fish I have that are alone (bumblebee and red), do I need more of them or are they good solo?

FishyBusiness said:
I really need more large rocks and I can't seem to find any online or at the stores. I see them online in setups and YouTube though. I'm assuming they make their own which is what I'll have to do. I'll add more in a couple weeks.

A good place for rocks are a local garden supply shop, or even better if you can get them from a river or stream near your home. Good luck with these cichlids, I love my yellow labs. How did you determine sex at such a small size?

Back
Top Bottom