Please Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caseysd80

Aquarium Advice Regular
My pH reads 10 but my Alkalinity is high, never had this problem! What causes it? I'm doing a partial water change and cleaning tomorrow, hope that helps!

High ph IS alkalinity. One in the same. Need more info about your tank. Size? Stock? Plants? Driftwood? Other parameters? How long has it been up and running?

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know that but my test kit has a pH test and an Alkalinity test and the pH was 10 and my Alkalinity was almost 300. That's why I was saying WTF. It's my fry tank and there a couple fake plants, regular tank gravel, an air powered filter and an airstone. The tank has had fry in it since February 27 and the fish seem fine

All my fish are African Cichlids albeit 3 Firemouths, 2 Convicts, 2 Redtailed Sharks, and 2 Plecos. The tank I'm having a problem with are all Whitetailed Acei albeit 1 pleco and 1 pink convict

I know that but my test kit has a pH test and an Alkalinity test and the pH was 10 and my Alkalinity was almost 300. That's why I was saying WTF. It's my fry tank and there a couple fake plants, regular tank gravel, an air powered filter and an airstone. The tank has had fry in it since February 27 and the fish seem fine

Well, good to hear the fry are doing well. i am not a fan of chemicals and prefer filtering with peat. But, if you are concerned, you could apply some sort of "7.0" buffer. But slowly in smaller quantities over a few days.

I'm going to do a water change and clean/vacuum it tomorrow. I read to use distilled water to help it lower the alkalinity so I may try that. I'm not really to concerned because some of the Acei are getting a new home tomorrow and some are going to a new home next week and I'm putting the others and the one pink convict and other pleco in my big tank before I leave April 26 for 6 months

Oh gotcha. Well maybe someone with more cichlid experience will chime in but I do know adding driftwood and live plants can help. Over what period of time did the spike happen? All fish behaving normally? You don't want a drastic change in ph, so whatever you do needs to be done carefully and steadily. Test your taps ph/alkalinity too if you haven't already.

Sent from my EVO using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom