Please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaryPa

Aquarium Advice Regular
My fish are dieing. Fish#1 Rasbora had a white pimple in the center of it`s body,later lost any eye,wasted and died. Until the day he died he was very active and eating. Fish #2 Platy I thought she had complications giving birth but was most likely bloated.She was gasping for air at the top of the tank and died that night. Fish #4 Rasbora has a white pimple with a pink center. It`s very active and eating well. Fish#5 Platy has a white pimple on her tailfin.I`m treating them in the quarantine tank with Maracyn Plus. I`m afraid to add salt to the main tank because of the loaches and cories but I am treating it with Maracyn Plus. :cry:
The temp is 82f,pH 5.9,nitrAtes 30, very soft slightly acid water. This is a 125 gal aquarium, my loach tank. Most recent additions are 2 Skirted tetras that were quarantined for 6 weeks.
I appreciate any help you can give me.

could you let us know what your maintance scedual is like on your tank?
NH3, NO2 #'s in ppm?

how often do you test your PH, if frequently how much does it change if any? Do you know what your KH is?

I would step up the frequency and percentage of water changes, I would not be happy with a 30ppm NO3 test result.. Try to maintain it down to less then 10ppm.

And your right dont use salt in the tank with the cories and loaches.

To best help you, please answer the following questions...

How long has the tank been up and running with fish in it?
What type of filter is on the tank?
Please list all the fish in the tank.
Is the temp up at 82 degrees because of treatment?
What are the ammonia and nitrite levels?
What food do you feed? How much? How often?

From the info. I can sort out, that low of pH isn't compatible with platies or the loaches. It's barely acceptable to even softwater fish like rams, cardinals and discus. SLOWLY bring pH up to at least 6.5, better at 7.0 value. TEST AMMONIA BEFORE ADJUSTING pH. If ammonia levels are showing, tend to lowering the ammonia levels FIRST. pH lowers as ammonia rises in the system. This is a natural reaction to the presence of ammonia. The lower pH keeps the ammonia in a less toxic form called ammonium. If you raise pH levels before lowering ammonia, you can intoxicate the fish. The ammonia becomes it's toxic form in higher pH values.

Nitrates you have listed aren't high as of 'basic' standards, but it can help to lower the nitrates to at least 20 ppm.

The white pimple evidently causes a wound as seen with the one that has a pinkish center. This could be a parasite you're dealing with.

How comfortable do you feel about handling your fish for examination? You would need to put Stress Coat on your hands and sort of hold the fish (can be done under water) and try to sort of scrape the white pimple with your nail gently. Does it appear as though it is attached to the fish or growing out of the fish? Are the white pimples hard or soft? The platy with the pimple on the tailfin would be easiest to check out. How big are these pimples? Are they smooth? Textured? Does the skin/scales around the pimples look red, irritated or broken?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom