Please ID this Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Looking for an ID. Have had this guy for years. Got him at about 2" from petco for a little tank I had. He's now in my 220g and is about 9"-10" long. Hard to tell in the picture but the top tip of his tail fin is orange/red

Pretty sure he's just a leopard pleco but he just looks different then that and I know they can have very small differences between types.

Anyway. I know how hard it can be to ID plecos so good luck!

Attachments

• IMG_2507.jpg
    IMG_2507.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 89
Looks to be a very healthy Sail Fin "Leopard" Pleco. I've seen the brilliantly colored tail edging
on them before. Sometimes the color spans the entire back edge of the tail fin. So many different variants.

Looks to be a very healthy Sail Fin "Leopard" Pleco. I've seen the brilliantly colored tail edging
on them before. Sometimes the color spans the entire back edge of the tail fin. So many different variants.

Ty for the complement on his health. He is very active. Always swimming around the bottom of the tank and never hides. Majority of the time he is also displaying his fins. Think this is due to his tank mates. 3 gold vail angels, 7 young red line geophagus, 1 adult threadfin geophagus, 7 adult roseline barbs, silver Arowana. Lots of action and movement in the tank so he keeps on the move as well

I agree with the (L-83) Sailfin "leopard" ID. Looks to have about 13 rays on the dorsal fin meaning it's some type of Pterygoplichthys, as there are many different types beyond your "common" sailfin. He's still got a lot of growing to do! I've see specimens in the 20" range and if they are cared for properly can live for 20 years or better.

I agree with the (L-83) Sailfin "leopard" ID. Looks to have about 13 rays on the dorsal fin meaning it's some type of Pterygoplichthys, as there are many different types beyond your "common" sailfin. He's still got a lot of growing to do! I've see specimens in the 20" range and if they are cared for properly can live for 20 years or better.

Thank you, didnt know anything about the rays on the dorsal fin. I am looking forward to him being that large honestly. when I got him he was about 2 inches and hes grown to 9ish over the last few years. I figured he would be in the ~2ft area when he was fully grown. Should be a good looking pleco at that size.

Back
Top Bottom