Please ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sahabo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone know what this is? I count about 15 on the glass, various sizes, some as small as a pin head. I can see movement very very slightly at times.

Attachments

• IMG_1589.jpg
    IMG_1589.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1590.jpg
    IMG_1590.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 44
You know, I didn't think I did. I've never seen any before and I've been careful to try not to introduce them with plants. But you never know, maybe some came in on plants.

Funny enough, about an hour after I took these pics, I went to look at the tank and they had all disappeared! Maybe my betta ate them??

That's a limpet. Functionally and taxonomically it's a snail, but they don't multiply the way snails do and I couldn't consider them a pest the way some people seem to think of snails. They probably came in on plants, but they're in no danger of overrunning your tank. They will help a little with algae control, though, and they're really neat to watch. Their shells are quite efficient armor compared to snails, since they don't ever have to expose soft body parts. It's unlikely your fish ate them, but they do range all over the tank walls, gravel and plants, so at times you won't see them.

Back
Top Bottom