Plec had to go....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catfish1102

Aquarium Advice Regular
I couldn't put it off any longer, my sailfin plec got too big for the tank and had to go back to the shop. Getting him out was a bit scary, he was way too big for my net and nearly jumped out when I tried to get him in a jug. Finally managed to trap him in a big sandwich box and said goodbye to him at the LFS.

Sad but inevitable. I knew when I got him he could outgrow the tank, I didn't know how attached I'd get & how hard it would be to take him back.

Be warned all who buy plecs...... :(

Sorry.

"I really want this fish. It says he gets very big, but look at him. He's so cute and tiny. How can he hurt anything?"

One Year later

"This fish is growing out of the top of the tank! Help!"

I bet you wish you had a bigger tank, don't cha?

I wish people at LFS's would just ask people how big their tanks are and then tell them what fish will fit. I know a lot of people have general ideas about the size of fish but when they are so tiny in the store it is so often hard to understand that.

Or even better:

"I need something for algae; what do you recommend Mr Lfs guy?"

"Here, one of these 1 1/2" plecs will do fine."

Yep, that was my conversation. I'm off to buy a 55g today for my EIGHT INCH long plec. *sigh*

I was reading an article in Aquarium Fish that was written by a LFS owner. He said that on fish that get large, he doesn't even stock them. He will get them, but only if he knows the customer has a tank large enough to keep it in.

I thought that was awesome on his part. I'm sure a lot of LFSs just want to sell their fish. Once they're out the door, it's the customers problem.

I have always wondered how you would move a full grown pleco. You couldn't just net it up with a little fish net. You'd have to use one like bass fishermen use :lol: !

"I need something for algae; what do you recommend Mr Lfs guy?"

It wouldn't make them any money to say "Leave your lights off for a few more hours each day."

Heh I know Zic. Bought him in my "completely ignorant" days. I'm in my "I know enough to be dangerous" days now LOL

Yeah, I'm kinda wondering how the hell I'm going to transfer him. Forget the net; when he moved in to the 25g he got stuck and barely fit anyway. I'm going to have to try to catch him in some sort of container....eeek.

Back
Top Bottom