Pleco advice please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbell831

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!! I am pretty new to the whole aquarium/fresh water fish thing, but my kids and I wanted a nice tank for Christmas, so that's what we got! I have a 20g aqueon hexagon tank. The water cycled for about 3 weeks, and on New Years Eve I put in five platys. They seem to be doing well so far, but I was wondering when I can put a pleco in? The guy at petsmart that tested my water said I can add one now, but I need to have algae wafers. Just wanted some advice. Thanks!

I would get your own liquid test kit. I've seen many times where the store says "it's fine" when really it's not.

If the tank is cycled(water test by you can tell you this) you could add a small clown or bristlenose pleco to answer your question.

Just be aware most plecos produce much more waste than they clean up. Many that keep them like the fish itself not for its "cleaning" abilities lol. If you just want it for cleaning, I'd look at other bottom feeders such as corydora.

Caleb

The only real option i know of is s bristle nose pleco, don't get a common pleco they get literally feet long. Another thing to keep mind is that they produce a lot of waste meaning you'll need to clean/change your water more.

Sini's my personal bucket lugger..er, I mean husband

I have a BN and a clown, although I almost never see either, especially the clown because he's so small. While they are very neat, honestly I doubt I will get a pleco again, even after having the one for 12 years. The amount of poop they produce is ridiculous, and I don't even feed them every day. And I rarely see them except when they blast away to hide in the driftwood. Be sure you really like them for what they are before you get one.

I agree with other responses. If you really like the look and idea of a pleco for what they are (they are really cool, almost prehistoric looking animals), then you can get a bristlenose or clown pleco, those stay relatively small compared to a common pleco.

Make absolutely sure you don't let the people at petsmart talk you into getting a common pleco. They grow up around 12 inches long, which is much too large for a 20 gallon and they produce TONS of poo... one got sent to me once in a used 55 gallon aquarium and I had to take him to my local fish store and see if they would take him, because he was actually too large for the tank and was leaving garland-like strands of poo all over everything.

That being said, I do own a bristlenose, and she still produces a lot of waste, but I like her, and they can live quite a long time when cared for properly.

Corydoras, as suggested by ImACoolguy, are very cool little fish too. They need to be kept in small groups (of 4 or more I believe), but they are much smaller than the bristlenose pleco and will probably be out and about more moving around on the bottom of the tank.

I have 3 BNs in my 75 gallon, and while they do produce a TON of waste, my son LOVES them. He loves seeing them stuck to the glass, plants, and other decor. He tries to find all 3 whenever he can, and he's always pointing them out/talking about the sucker fish. If the tank is for you and your kids to enjoy, then I would say get 1 BN or clown pleco and let them enjoy it. Its an extra 5 min of vacuuming each, no biggie.

But make sure your tank is ready for them. Buy a liquid test kit (~$25 bucks on Amazon compared to ~$45 @ LFS) and test your own water.

I would go for the albino BN plecos myself, for the reason that they are easier to spot because of the color, they don't blend into the background, Clowns tend to be more nocturnal where the ABN's are out and about more. Beside algea wafers, bottom feeder wafers and shrimp pellets, they should have veggies available 24/7 and driftwood to rasp on. They are my favorite fish. Alison

If you have live plants consider getting a group of Otos. They can be sensitive when new, but are awesome and much cleaner than Plecos. But you need to take a look at their undersides, make sure they look fat not sucked in. I love mine.
f58bb2ff16755502931f987a3ecf4491.jpg

The pic shows 2 different Otocinclus species plus some of my Corydoras habrosus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom