Pleco and dwarf frog only survivors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishWithFeet

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a forty gallon tank that has been running for about two months. It grew algae within weeks, so the first fish I added was a Pleco. He cleaned the tank up and seemed healthy, so I added a rainbow shark and an African dwarf frog. The rainbow shark died within 12 hours, but the other two were fine, so I thought maybe the pet store had a problem with their rainbow sharks. I tried a clown loach next. Dead within 12 hours. I had the water tested and was told everything looked good. I tried Danios next. All three dead in 24 hours. I let the tank sit, with the Pleco and frog for about a week. They are both fine, so I tried cherry barbs. Dead in 12 hours. The Pleco and the dwarf frog are still doing well, but I really am starting to feel like a fish killer. The pet store is stumped as to what could be killing the fish, and why the other two are fine. I do have Mopani wood in the tank, and the water is slightly tinged by tannins, but I was told this isn't the problem and will resolve after several water changes. Anyone have an idea of what could be happening in my tank?

What're the water levels?

Did you float the bag or drip acclimate? Danios are super hardy usually....

Sent from my iPhone

I didn't get the details, I had the test done at the pet store. I floated the bags every time I added fish. I heard danios are hardy, which is why I tried them.

I wouldn't rely on the pet store's tests, honestly. In my experience they just use the strips, which can be useful to get a ballpark, but I would recommend getting at least a liquid ammonia test if not the full API Master test kit. I'm guessing your tank is not cycled and the fish are dying from ammonia poisoning. Do they gasp at the top of the tank near the filter in the hours before they die?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Actually the ones I have seen were parked at the bottom of the tank before they died. They go between struggling to keep swimming and sitting on the bottom of the tank. I will have to get a more reliable test.

That is weird and creepy.... It's like some kind of tank haunted house.... Animals come in and never come out....spooooky. In all seriousness though don't get anymore fish just do a large water change and let the tank rest. Try different fish from a different LFS after a month. If that doesn't fix it then I guess it's just one of those crazy tanks.

NatureFish
????

Word of advice, research compatibility before adding anything else with your frog. And he'd be happier with at least one more frog.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

almost all the fish you have are sensitive to the water except the zebra danios
and should not be put in any tank that is not at least a few months old
if that is a common pleco it can get 2 ' long and eat the frog and most the other small fish in the tank the loaches can get to be 12" long and need to be in schools or 5-6 minimum as most tetras and barbs do
sounds like you have been shopping at petco or pet smart and got a sales person that knows little about fish, take a water sample to a local fish store , a store that only sells fish , something is wrong with your water if so many fish die
before you buy any more fish look up the fish to find out how big they get , what kind of water conditions and how aggressive they are
bristle nose plecos would be great in your tank and yo yo loaches , clowns are to big
take you time and add a FEW FISH AT A TIME THEN WAIT A FEW WEEKS

I agree. I have 6 frogs and I can't help but be concerned for hers. Idk about the few months old though on the tank. Before I knew about cycling I had my frogs and ghost shrimp in my just set up tank. I learned about cycling immediately after. I stayed on top of things testing and changing daily. I used some biozyme which I think saved me. I was cycled in less than 3 weeks. My numbers have been perfect since. I only lost 3 ghosts in the process. All 6 frogs are fine. I know I got very lucky.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It sounds to me that they are dying from shock. Take at least 4 hours to acclimate new fish adding a cup of water every 10 minutes or so to the bag.

I feel your pain!!!

I have a forty gallon tank that has been running for about two months. It grew algae within weeks, so the first fish I added was a Pleco. He cleaned the tank up and seemed healthy, so I added a rainbow shark and an African dwarf frog. The rainbow shark died within 12 hours, but the other two were fine, so I thought maybe the pet store had a problem with their rainbow sharks. I tried a clown loach next. Dead within 12 hours. I had the water tested and was told everything looked good. I tried Danios next. All three dead in 24 hours. I let the tank sit, with the Pleco and frog for about a week. They are both fine, so I tried cherry barbs. Dead in 12 hours. The Pleco and the dwarf frog are still doing well, but I really am starting to feel like a fish killer. The pet store is stumped as to what could be killing the fish, and why the other two are fine. I do have Mopani wood in the tank, and the water is slightly tinged by tannins, but I was told this isn't the problem and will resolve after several water changes. Anyone have an idea of what could be happening in my tank?

I thought I was the only fish killer!!!! lol- sorry. I feel your pain, I'm having the same problems. All my fish are dying as well!! Leaving behind a pleco, 2 ADF and a Blue Mystery Snail. Mine were making it almost to the 14dy grace period before they died. My levels are good as well.. the fish showed no sign of illness.
Started with a dalmation molly, 3 black mollies and a silver molly. Dead.
Next attempt 5 painted "Holiday Fruit" Tetras, dead also:banghead:

Have you figured out your problem yet? If not, I hope you do soon. I'd love to hear about it and maybe we could work together to figure out our mystery tanks!??
Feel free to PM me, if you'd like.

Strange, I'm having the opposite problem. Tank is 50 gal and has been running for a year at my current home, a year before that in another home. All live plants but only two surviving as I had a bad algae problem and blacked it out. Algae problem has eased up so I decided to introduce a pleco to clean up the other stuff. Can't keep one longer than twelve hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom