Pleco and Snail Compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duck645

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, I have a bristlenose pleco in my 36 gallon bow front and I was looking to get some some snails (for additional clean up crew and because they are fun).
I'm planning to get either mystery (apple?) snails or nerite snails, but I have heard rumors of plecos sucking snails out of their shells. Has anyone had experience with mixing plecos and snails? Would they be okay together?

I've heard that before, but personally I have no issues. I have either a butterfly or bristlenose pleco (bought as bristle but looks more like butterfly to me. It has no bristles and the markings of a butterfly). Besides his other fish tank mates there is a nerite snail, assassin snails and mts and I've never had any issues

Okay thanks, do you think it would be better to get mystery or nerite snails? Does either type have more benefits, or is it just personal preference?

Okay thanks, do you think it would be better to get mystery or nerite snails? Does either type have more benefits, or is it just personal preference?

I think it is mainly a question of preference. One think I know is nerite snails cannot reproduce in freshwater.

Nerite snails are way better algae eaters and can't reproduce in fw so they don't become a nuisance. They also come in many patterned varieties. Mystery snails get larger, reproduce, but also add a relatively lage bioload to your aquarium.

I would like to add , as an owner of mystery(apple) and Nerite snails, that if you happen to get a female of
Either you will have eggs.
Given, the nerite eggs cant hatch in fresh water, but they WILL get everywhere,
And once your mystery (apple) snail lays eggs i can almost always promise you that they WILL hatch with the right conditions.
Mystery snails also like to climb up to air to breathe, and may accidentally escape :/

I also forgot to mention i have both in tanks with bushy nosed plecos and have never had any problems ;)

Back
Top Bottom