Pleco attack?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tonhe

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Today, one of my parrots has wounds on her sides.. I treated her directly, and the tank with melafix. I'm wondering if this looks like it could've been my pleco attaching himself to her side?? There isnt really anything in the tank that could hurt her afaik.. And due to its location it dosent look like a normal bite to me..

-Tony

Side 1
http://mattke.net/misc/parrot wound/IMG_1970.JPG

Side 2
http://mattke.net/misc/parrot wound/IMG_1972.JPG
http://mattke.net/misc/parrot wound/IMG_1973.JPG

The suspect....
http://mattke.net/misc/parrot wound/IMG_1974.JPG

pleco's can be territorial at times, but usually this is directed towards same species.
Are there any other fish in your tank?
Any sharp/abbrasive items in yoour tank he could have gotton hung up on?

Usually, the mark from an algae eater type fish would be triangular.
the mark looks pretty linear to me, i highly doubt ur pleco did this.

just my oppinion though.

Its my tank from my signature.. the line on her right had side is very linear. BUT, the one on the left, has a circular piece of "skin" hanging from the side... The only thing in the tank is a extra large foam rock, and some Schedule 80 4" pipe... well, that and 140 lbs of sand...

well the best advice i can give is to qt the injured fish. nurse it to health. reintroduce it to the tank and monitor them as much as possible. it could be a one time deal where they just had a fight over whatever....or you may have to separte them. monitoring them is key, i think.

Do you know what specific type of pleco that is? One mistake that a lot of people make is assuming that their pleco has enough to eat simply because there is algae in the tank when in reality, not all plecos eat every type of algae. In fact, many of the most commonly found plecos (including those 'generic' types with non-specific labels at the store) tend to grow out of being mostly herbivores and become omnivores who are more than happy to eat flake and/or frozen foods that your other fish miss. The problem is, when your pleco cannot find enough food, or enough food to satisfy their nutritional needs anyways, it is very common for them to 'attack' tank mates...but they do so not out of spite, but in an attempt to feed from their highly nutritious slime coat. Typically, the best targets for plecos would be slow moving, non-schooling fish, including fish that tend to 'rest' at when the lights are off and when many plecos are more active. So, in conclusion, if you are not already doing so, you may want to supplement your pleco's diet. Of course, there are plecos who are more apt to behave like this than others so finding out what species you have is worthwhile. IMHO, these are fantastic fish and I have a few of them myself, however, their reputation as algae eaters is usually overstated.

I think there is also a chance that this fish may be suffering from a parasite as well. Have you noticed it glancing off anything in your tank, including the sand? Is the area raised and/or appear as though something may have come out of this spot?

Lastly, while I have used Melafix and Pimafix quite a few times, be careful with how much, how often, and even how you add it to your tank. I've read, heard, and even expereienced my own small disaster with using these products. Even though it is advertised as being 'natural', it can be overdosed. My suggestion is to use it sparingly and dillute it a bit in some tank water versus just dumping it in.

i agree. the one that blows me away is the chinese algae eater. the grow to be rather large and after adolecence the stop feeding on algae and attatch themselves to tankmates causeing pretty severe damage.

just an fyi. i have a seven inch common pleco and a 3 inch golden nugget pleco and i feed the algae wafers and at night i give them a slice of cuucumber or zuchinni. they love the stuff and they seem to be good with that

the grow to be rather large and after adolecence the stop feeding on algae and attatch themselves to tankmates causeing pretty severe damage.

If this is the case, then they are doing so because they do not have a better and/or easier option for finding food. I have four of them in my 125 gallon tank and feed them spirolina pellets, as well as the flake food/frozen foods that my other fish miss. They do not bother anyone.

Back
Top Bottom