Pleco feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Russ359

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have about a 3 inch pleco in my 37 gallon tank. How do I know if it is getting enough food? It never comes out during the day, sometimes I see it hanging on glass in the evening after the lights are out. during the day just hangs out upside down on the driftwood.

Sometimes pleco's dont eat food directly they scavenge off the bottom of the tank on uneaten food

fishdok said:
Sometimes pleco's dont eat food directly they scavenge off the bottom of the tank on uneaten food

x2, also you can try and drop some sinking pellets for bottom dwellers late at night. Sometimes if I remember after lights out and before bed I'll throw a few sinking pellets in the tank. Mostly they will roam the tank for leftovers.

x2, also you can try and drop some sinking pellets for bottom dwellers late at night. Sometimes if I remember after lights out and before bed I'll throw a few sinking pellets in the tank. Mostly they will roam the tank for leftovers.

this is a good idea if your worried that there isnt enough leftovers :)

You can check their belly while theyre hanging on the glass to see if its not sunken in. And i recomennd adding a shrimp pellet or algae wafer every few days bc really there should not be any food leftovers at the bottom bc that means youre feeding too much

I would definitely say give it an algae wafer every other day or so. The pleco I just recently lost to old age (19 years old) was fed an algae wafer (or two; he was a big guy) everyday and reached a good 2 feet long.

Also if it's skitterish maybe feed it at night, but our guy got used to being fed in the morning. Just try to drop it in the same general area.

Good luck with your pleco! :)

Back
Top Bottom