Pleco help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iusefender

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've had a spotted plecostomus for about 2 weeks now and lately he hasn't been looking good. His top fin is never upright and he looks sick. I'm not sure if I'm feeding him right. I use algae wafers but I never see him eat it. I have a 36 gallon tank and he's in there with a Senegal bichir, some tiger barbs and some tetras. Any suggestions on what I should do?

How old is the tank? Did the tank cycle? Plecos are nocturnal, they feed at night... if in doubt, reach in and touch him/her, if it takes off like a bullet, it is generally fine. But look for obvious signs of disease... my pleco had velvet from the lfs but symptoms are completely opposite from being docile. They are generally still when leeched on to glass, rock, etc. What makes you feel it is sick? Be more specific.

You can tell if your Pleco is eating by looking at his stomach when he's on the tank wall. If it flat or sunken he's not eating. If it's a little pudgy, he's eating.
If he's eating but not getting enough nutrition, his stomach will be pudgy but his eyes will be sunken.
I found this out the bad way.
Good luck.

My tanks only about two weeks old now. I tested the water and my nitrite levels were dangerously high. I did a 50% water change today and cleaned out a ton of old food in the tank. I'm hoping doing more water changes until my levels come down should fix the problem

My tanks only about two weeks old now. I tested the water and my nitrite levels were dangerously high. I did a 50% water change today and cleaned out a ton of old food in the tank. I'm hoping doing more water changes until my levels come down should fix the problem

With the NitrIte levels being that high we can tell that your tank wasn't Cycled before the fish were added. But you can still salvage your tank. If necessary do 75% PWC twice a day. Ammonia is bad for your fish NitrItes are worse. When doing a cycle with fish you need to bust butt to keep the ammonia and NitrItes below .25ppm. You'll soon have NitrAtes and then you can relax and enjoy your fish.

Back
Top Bottom