pleco in planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I totally agree. I would never go out and buy a pleco because I had an algae issue, but I would buy a pleco to aid in algae control. Every tank should have some algae, and inhabitants to feed on it.

On the other side if your tank had no algae the pleco may not be getting a balanced diet. Depending on the species*

Im didnt get them for algae control i just think they are really cool looking fish. So dont care if they eat any algae at all.

Yah think they were jumping on me, but I was just saying the bristlenose is going to eat algae the clown probably isn't.

I have freshwater muscles that filter the water, but I don't use them as a filter. Not making any general false statements that all plecos eat algae. Or that they should be bought merely to control algae.

Sorry Matt didn't mean to hijack your post, just trying to clarify my statements.

Hope you can find one you like :)

Pitbull Plecos are an awesome small plant safe Pleco !!

I would find homes for your two Commons now before they die or become stunted from trying to live in a 10g.

Big fish need big tanks even as babies so they can GROW healthy and strong :)

Commons are poop machines and need large tanks or a pond and need large filtration. They can live into their 20s.

You'll have to decide if you want to dedicate a huge tank for your Plecos. Plus as they grow, they may get territorial.

I like to give them wood and veggies. Zucchini, Cucumber, quality Algae wafers, etc... Feed them, don't assume all they need is algae on the walls.

I understand about wanting to see the fish before you buy it, but since Petco has a guarantee, ask ; if you order online, can you return to store ? IF the fish is sick or you don't like it.

Or check this site or The Planted Tank OR see if you have a local Aquarium or Fish Club ????

I went to a club meet and auction Saturday and Bristlenose Plecos Long Fin, Short Fin, Albino, Blue Eyed...all went for about $2-3 a fish, very cheap !

Pitbull Plecos are the way to go. Even look into the Panda Garra Loach, very cool.

I'll 3rd pitbull plecs--I'm getting 3 for my 55 gallon. Neat little plecos. :)

I have L-104 and L-162 clown pleco's and they look great in my planted tanks and don't bother my plants. I have no algae in my tanks for them to eat so I pay careful attention to their feeding although they are from the wood pleco family and don't really care about it anyways or to a minimal amount. Also I have chocolate zebra pleco's L-270 and they again look great and leave my plants alone but are higher priced than most pleco's. Also from the wood pleco family which prefer more protein based foods than algaes. So pay attention to their feeding. I agree with everyone though don't use fish to control algae figure out what's causing it and take the proper steps to correct it. The fish just help while your away buying more:)

I actually purchased my Albino Bristlenose pleco at Petco for 2$. He works pretty well in my tank, hes usually grazing algae off my plants and the walls. I've seen some places try and charge Albino BN's for ridicilous amounts (a LFS had some for 30$).

I had a Clown in my 29g planted. He looked cool and didn't touch the plants. He just lived under his log and NEVER came out. He did make an unbelievable mess under there. I finally took him to a LFS and traded him for a couple Oto's. Less bioload and I can actually watch them.

I agree with aqua_chem. Treat a pleco like you would any other fish and get it because you want it. NOT because you are expecting it to take care of you algae problem; that is just the icing on the cake!

As for good Plecos, I have a large (4"-5") Bristlenose in my 55g along with a Clown (3"). They are both fairly reclusive, only venturing out in the very dim areas of the tank and right before lights off.

:hide:
In my opinion there is nothing wrong with buying animals to help with algae control and cleaning. AKA the CUC zooplankton, snails, shrimp, and some fish. These are some of my favorite animals in aquariums. Especially in some of my past reef tanks. From my experience some species of plecos are good algae eaters such as the bristlenose, am I wrong?

I personally would rather have a fish that I can watch help with tank maintenance, rather than it just looking pretty. It doesn't matter to me whether they are actually helping out the tank or not as long as the tank is stable I don't mind doing extra work to keep the tank clean.

Would I go out and buy something just to treat an algae problem...no. I would never assume something is getting proper nutrition from one food source such as algae, which is why I feed live, frozen, and dried foods to everything that will eat it.

I've kind of gotten the impression that a lot of the folks (not all) who say don't get a fish just for a job say it because if you get a fish you don't really care for just for a job, what happens if it doesn't do its job?

Other than that, I agree with Alkane. I've spent enough time researching reef set ups that the "clean up crew" makes perfect sense to me, whether talking marine or freshwater. It's why I have cories, shrimp, and snails. I love the critters, I love to watch them, but I got them to do a job. It was only after I got them that I realized I really, really like the shrimp and snails. :)

Yes Kay, that is part of it. If you get a pleco and it isn't eating algae which you wanted it to, then that just stinks for you. The other part is the fact that most of the "clean up crew" fish in FW aquariums are not really needed. If you feed the right amount, you don't need something like Kuhli Loaches or Cories to clean it up. If you have the proper photo period and nutrient balance, you won't need a Pleco.

In short, if you like Plecos, then get a suitable one. However, don't get one just because you are expecting it to fix a problem. Their algae eating habits are an added benefit.

Your plants will be fine. I have a pretty big sized one in my 100 gallon tall and he loves my plants.

I'd vote for the Clown. I have one and he's an awesome little guy. He's in my 65g planted tank and just mainly hangs out on the DW and has never hurt any of my plants. He's also very good about not bumming into them when he's out and about.

Bristlenose Pleco

Really the only lps is petco and they always tell me I have order them online and I perfer to see stuff before I buy it.

Toddnbecca sells Bristlenose plecos here on AA. I bought 4 from him and they are great. He has some advertised right now in the classifieds. Very reasonable too. Good luck

:fish1::fish1::fish1::fish1:

Back
Top Bottom