Pleco or Otos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CinnamonPearl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 38g tank with four platies, five cories, and fourteen neon tetras. A while ago, my tank got a massive algae outbreak of green algae. I think it's diatoms and green spot algae. My photoperiod is six hours. I decided to get some animals to help. I'm going to get nerite snails for the green spot, but what would be better for diatoms? A bristlenose pleco or a school of otos? The pleco would be my first pick but if it won't help I'll go with otos. Suggestions?

I have a 38g tank with four platies, five cories, and fourteen neon tetras. A while ago, my tank got a massive algae outbreak of green algae. I think it's diatoms and green spot algae. My photoperiod is six hours. I decided to get some animals to help. I'm going to get nerite snails for the green spot, but what would be better for diatoms? A bristlenose pleco or a school of otos? The pleco would be my first pick but if it won't help I'll go with otos. Suggestions?

I'm pretty sure that nerites will take care of diatoms as well. I recently got some 'algae eaters' as they were sold as in LFS. After looking at them closer I thought they where Siamese Algae Eaters (SAE's) and did some research and they indeed are. I had a diatom problem and they cleared it up very quickly, like within a day or two. They are doing an awesome job in my tank!

Also oto's are very sensitive and don't do well in new tanks as they need a mature tank, even then they are hard to keep alive.

I have Otto's in 1 of my tanks and they do a pretty good job of cleaning. I also have a Pleco in another tank and he does a good job. For your tank size and current stock ottos might be better because they are smaller. Depending on the type of Pleco they can get quite big.

If you want a pleco I suggests bristlenose pleco as they stay at 4-6 inches max. Snails I think have either no bioload or a next to nothing bioload that wouldn't make much difference bioload wise.

I want fish for the diatoms because IME snails hardly make a dent. My tank has been runnin since September. Is that long enough to be mature? I think I will go with otos. How many can I get?

If your main concern is diatoms then don't get any algae eating fish, diatoms go away on their own and when they do there's no more food source for the fish specifically bought to take care of them. I would go with a couple snails and buy something like phos-guard or something to decrease the phosphate levels in your tank to help speed the process of getting rid of diatoms

I have Platies, Cories & Angelfish & Oto s. the LFS suggested a Rubber lipped Plecoptera because they stay small. He was way too aggressive when I fed & may have killed one of my Cories by slamming into it. So he went back to the store. My tanks been set up since Christmas , my Oto s are healthy & happy!

I'll get otos then. I don't just want an algae-eating fish for algae. I happen to love both plecos and otos so I'll feed them zucchini or cucumber once the diatoms run out.

How many can I get for my tank based on my stock? Is 7-8 good?

Back
Top Bottom