Pleco that doesn't eat aquarium plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shane87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi I would like some suggestions for plecos that won't destroy a planted tank, size isn't really an issue. Thanks :)

The only one's I've seen destroy a planted tank are the big ones like common and sailfins, and it's mostly because of their size. They go to lay on a plant and just smash it, or when they get startled they uproot stuff with their bodies.

I have bristlenoses in a few tanks and have never seen them eating any plants.

Ok thanks, i also want to know what ones are least shy because I had a clown pleco when I 1st started but I only ever see it like 5 times :(

I've got a Longfin Albino Bristlenose Pleco in a heavily planted tank and he never bothers anything. I also have a Rio Negro Pleco in a smaller planted tank that has not bothered any plants in the 6 months I've had him. I do offer my pleco food at night after the lights are off a couple times a week. Mine like soften zucchini, peas, and algae tablets.

A lot of plecos are nocturnal therefore it's unlikely you would see them much unless u have some nice moon lights.

The pleco in my 30 gallon likes to lay in the water wisteria. He doesn't hurt it. Just gets in it and lays there. I think he thinks he's hiding....bless his heart.

if your looking for fish to control the algae then the chinese algae eaters, flag fish and siamese algae eaters are the way to go and don't eat the plants. My pleco uproots everything!!

Magikalgirl79 said:
if your looking for fish to control the algae then the chinese algae eaters, flag fish and siamese algae eaters are the way to go and don't eat the plants. My pleco uproots everything!!

No I'm not really looking for an algae eater I don't really get much algae in my tank, I just like plecos :p and what about if I got the plants in a plant pot and left them in there? Would that help?

Chinese algae eaters get big and can get very aggressive plus they tend to lose interest in algae as they mature. Siamese algae eater can also lose interest in algae especially if enough fish food is made available to them. Plus SAE's have been known to take a liking to many fine leaved plants like Rotala Wachalli. I've heard both good and bad about American flagfish. Never kept them so can not really comment. For a planted tank I feel a bristlenose pleco is about your best bet. Sometimes they have been known to rasp on large sword leaves but thats about it.

Shane87 said:
No I'm not really looking for an algae eater I don't really get much algae in my tank, I just like plecos :p and what about if I got the plants in a plant pot and left them in there? Would that help?

Lol ya they can be entertaining! I'm not sure on the pots maybe someone else will know. My Pleco is about 8 inches maybe! He's just so big and gets spooked easily so knock anything and everything over lol I love watching my Chinese algae eaters. They have little suckers on there faces too. I have 2, a golden and a brown one. They are very fun to watch! And they have never shown any aggression and are only about 2 inches long. I've had them about 3 years and they've never gotten any bigger than that! I'd much rather watch them, they will clean every little piece of gravel it's so funny!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom