Pleco with exposed area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennae

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got this guy as part of a package deal with some other fish. I've never had a common pleco before. He came with an exposed fin on the left side of the pic. Should I worry? What can I do for him? He is eating.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1409627775441.jpg
    1409627775441.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 208
Looks healthy to me. Maybe a bit of redness? I'd see how he went for a week or so (would maybe add some stress coat). Do you know how he ended up like that out of interest?

I have no idea. I got him and he was in about 5 grocery bags and a box and the seller said it was due to a bag mishap that he was in grocery bags. He's active and eating. I've been watching him like a hawk.

This happened to one of my bristlenoses recently.
Unless there's signs of an infection meds aren't needed, but increasing the water changes will ensure it heals well. I doubled mine to 50% twice a week, and he's healing up fine.

That's like raw bone huh?? I'd just make sure the water is crazy clean, it'll heal fine if so.. if not it'll deteriorate than death.. what size tank he in? They get rather large.. sure you knew that though;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I do know he was in a tank with cichlids in his previous home but what kind of cichlids I am not sure. I'm trying to keep him clean and healthy but just worried.

Tonight when I fed and shut lights off the boney protrusion is gone like it broke off. Yikes! I'll get a pic tomorrow

Now he is getting paler in color. Anyone heard of this before?

It looks ok but I worry about the color change. I fed him some zucchini today and he likes that I've noticed so maybe he'll perk up.

They will lighten up is color when they're stressed, can you post pics of the coloration?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Here's a pic.

Attachments

• 1409937137500.jpg
    1409937137500.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 1409937154131.jpg
    1409937154131.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 78
Here's the deal. I wasn't going to keep this guy but then I saw he was injured. He's in a 29 right now because I'm having an ammonia problem in the 55. I threw out a bunch of water lettuce and now I'm having an ammonia spike in the 55. I'm dealing with that but I didn't think it would be a good idea to put an injured animal in those conditions. So sadly here I am stuck with the pleco and he's in a tank with 7 cories and a betta. At least it's lightly stocked in this tank.

Now he has it up. He just had zucchini. It's been down lately though

Back
Top Bottom