Pleco wont move

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yeti

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any Idea why my pleco wont move? I just got him couple days ago and he stays in one spot the whole time.. not even sure if he's eaten yet...

Have you checked to make sure it is alive? strategically place a algae wafer in front of it and see what happens. It could also be that he is new, but usually they are skittish in a new tank.

-Pleco

yeah I poked him with the net and he swam around for a sec then latched back on to the glass. i looked over about an hour later and he was on the front of the tank, and about an hour after that he was in his original spot in the back. I dropped an algae flake and it bounced off him and landed next to him and he didnt move.. maybe he's just skittish but hopefully he will eat and not just starve to death.

see theres the thing... he's probably not moving because he hasnt found his comfort spot where he can relax. once he finds cover where he can dart out and get food, then get back to cover he will become more active during the day.

i bet he's active at night when you turn off the lights tho...:)

yeah thats just it, i dont have any cover for him really.. I want to get a cave or something for him but nothing matches my theme, they re all brown or grey, my theme is greek ruins and stuff... grr

How about a few pieces of marble or marble like rock to make a cave? A piece of floor tile that matches your theme, you could break it up and make a cave.

any good hiding spots that are nice and dark? my plecos do the same thing, they just lay there becuase mainly theres nothing for them to do in the day time, when lights go out, its friday night boxing in htere lol hey fight each other liek crazy lol well now that I think about it, they do move alot in the day tiume but oddly its only when I blast REO speedwagons take it on the run LOL

yeah during the day he doesnt move much only inches around, but when the lights go out its on like donkey kong, he swims around all over and pushes the other fish out of the way so he can eat.
This is going in there for him, its perfect and damn near matches my theme.. blue ribbon makes a lot of these awesome vases

You can make caves quite easily and inexpensively yourself. There are quite a few in our DIY section as well as all over the net. Just a matter of preference on what style you like.

I have seen many pleco caves made of PVC pipe....with a little Kylon paint, and maybe some carving with a Dremmel tool, you could make one that looks like a fallen colum

Back
Top Bottom