Pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sonofthoth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
At what point in a start up would it be ok to add a pleco? I have some brown algae beginning to grow on the bottom and a little green on the glass. Think I am ok?

Its best to add them to an established tank. That said, you shouldn't buy a fish to try and solve a problem. If you want a pleco because you like the way they behave/look then great. If you want it because you have algae, not great. Brown algae (diatoms) is common in newer tanks (<6 months, but can happen any time). Green algae is caused by excess nutrients/light.

Ok good. Is this for the 65g? I would still wait another month or so just to give the tank some more time to mature. Make sure to stick with the little guys like bristlenose and rubberlipped (of course, there are many others... these just seem to be the most readily available at LFS)

I agree with MFD. I'd wait a few more weeks at least to see how your tank "acts" as it ages with the current stocking and your weekly water change routine. Then look at the smaller plecos. Check here and you can search by max size under the search> advanced search (www.planetcatfish.com). Don't add a "common algae eater", "common pleco", etc. They get enormous! The brown stuff will burn itself out in a few months. Unfortunately it's a normal thing and much easier to deal with for a while than it is to eliminate it before it's ready to be gone.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom