Plecomendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flei

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a 55 gallon community tank that I'm just about finished stocking. I just need to get a "cleaning crew" in there. Below is a current list of my fish:

Boesemani Rainbowfish - 3
Western Australian Rainbowfish - 2
Praecox Rainbowfish - 1
"Mystery Species" Australian Rainbowfish - 1
Madagascar Rainbowfish - 1
Cardinal Neon Tetras - 8
Zebra Danios - 5
Otocinclus Catfish - 1

I had two Otto's, but one disappeared. I could either get several Otto's, or a Pleco. I'm leaning towards the Pleco since I don't want any more little Otto's "disappearing". This is a planted tank that I'm in the process of aquascaping.

Are there any unique looking pleco's that people can recommend?

:thanks:

I have an Long Veiled Albino one and it's really beautiful!
He's sitting on my apple snail in the picture :)

Attachments

• image-3809799092.jpg
    image-3809799092.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 74
I would say your rainbows took out the oto. Rainbows get these bursts of aggression every now and then.

Personally, I would make sure there are lots of hiding spaces and go with like a bristnose pleco. There are lots of varieties to choose from.

Also, snails are another option. There are both algae eating types and "fish food" eating types (for lack of a better word).

Bristlenose is the best bet if you want something that actually eats some algae and won't get too large. Most of the pretty ones won't do anything for algae removal and probably shouldn't be added with that intention.

I would stay away from the common plecos. They get too big and can uproot plants in a heavily planted tank. If it were me I would get like 10 otos. They make an excellent CUC.

For a rare species you can also try a Snowball Pleco as well-- it's not growing big and is also beautiful. Got a few flaws though-- stays hidden quite often and can be pretty expensive (around £40 here in the UK!)

I would be that your oto is still in the tank. I had two hide in a 40 for almost 2 months. I was 100% sure they were dead until I trimmed back my tank and spooked them out.

senemedar said:
I have an Long Veiled Albino one and it's really beautiful!
He's sitting on my apple snail in the picture :)

He's cool!
I just got a Panama Red that is pretty unusual looking.

Back
Top Bottom