Plumbing - Non-PVC part and PVC Cement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coalcut

Aquarium Advice Activist
I ordered a 90 degree slip hose barb (from Marine Depo). it looks either black or gray in color (I don't think its PVC). So my question is can I glue this to my PVC using PVC cement or do I need something else?

Thanks

I contacted the place where I order the part from. The guy claims that it's PVC. I informed him that it didn't look like PVC to me. More like ABS or some other type of plastic. He still claimed that customers use PVC glue to glue this slip elbow hose barb without any issues. I still don't know about that. What's the worst that could happen?

If in doubt use araldite that's what we use at work to fix non conforming plastics together. I'm a hydraulic engineer btw.

fonze said:
If in doubt use araldite that's what we use at work to fix non conforming plastics together. I'm a hydraulic engineer btw.

What is araldite? And would it be aqaurium safe for the op?

Araldite is a poxy resin used to glue plastics, glass, fibre glass and metal I believe its made by loctite although there are other brands out there. Depending on which type you use it should be safe for aquarium. Check before you buy though

Back
Top Bottom