Plumbing ready for PVC glue...Comments & suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been reading a bit just now; it seems like a lot of people recommend multiple heaters to spread the load and to provide for individual heater failure...

Your thoughts...?

Yes two heaters equal to what is needed is safe plan.
IMO most heaters fail by staying stuck on and cook fish!
So an external thermostat is aslo a good buy according to many.
One like this I believe.

Finnex HC-0810 Digital Heater Controller

Yes two heaters equal to what is needed is safe plan.
IMO most heaters fail by staying stuck on and cook fish!
So an external thermostat is aslo a good buy according to many.
One like this I believe.

Finnex HC-0810 Digital Heater Controller

Nice external; nice price.

Should I go with one heater in the sump and one in the tank, or just keep both in the sump?

Both in sump IMO!
Get everything in the sump that fits and then rearrange if you need more!
You should touch base with ReefingMadness on all real specific things as he is my go to marine guy(for years now!)
He is on this site.
I am surprised he hasn't quashed or thumbs upped me yet!
Your tank is an aqueon without doubt( I have 4 with the mega overflows).
Try to make sure your plumbing in the overflow is adjustable(the height) so you can have better control over the surface skimming.
The out flow tube in the 'mega overflow kit' is adjustable so you can raise or lower it to remove more from the surface.
Your overflow box has slots on top/middle /and bottom yes?

Both in sump IMO!
Get everything in the sump that fits and then rearrange if you need more!
You should touch base with ReefingMadness on all real specific things as he is my go to marine guy(for years now!)
He is on this site.
I am surprised he hasn't quashed or thumbs upped me yet!
Your tank is an aqueon without doubt( I have 4 with the mega overflows).
Try to make sure your plumbing in the overflow is adjustable(the height) so you can have better control over the surface skimming.
The out flow tube in the 'mega overflow kit' is adjustable so you can raise or lower it to remove more from the surface.
Your overflow box has slots on top/middle /and bottom yes?

Had to "design" the plumbing myself; it's not adjustable...just an inverted J overflow to provide for the siphon. I drilled a 3/16" hole in the top to break the siphon in case of any power failure. :fish1:

The sump is a 20g long and my plans should allow only about seven unanticipated gallons to flow into the sump...

You just got me thinking that I could add another "U" into the overflow line to create a skimming surface drain...that should work pretty well and I can put a sponge-type filter into the line as well...or a small bag of carbon...

The overflow does have three levels of holes...

More thoughts later; gotta take the g'kids back home... :dance:

Plumbing Design

So I've been thinking...

As it stands now, my drain pipe is an inverted-J, presuming to allow for evaporation without loss of flow. Is this a good decision or should I proceed with adding an adjustable reverse bend, resulting in an open-top skimming design?

My thoughts turned this direction while test-fitting the reverse bend PVC...

It feels like there might be little difference between the two, yet the open-top would provide a means of stopping flow to perform sump maintenance.

Also, what, if any, beneficial and/or detrimental effects would there be to adding a check valve in the return line? The plus/minus chart shapes up initially as:

Plus:
1) Anti-backflow from discharge line
2) ???

Minus:
1) Pressure loss and therefore reduced flow & circulation in the tank
2) ???

The first "Minus" can be overcome with submerged circulation devices...

My current pump is a Rio+ 1100 rated at 1450LPH (383GPH) — not sure how much would be lost with a 5PSI check valve, but it feels kinda right to accept whatever losses might be incurred vs potential water damage.

My current inverted-J drain has a 3/16" siphon breaker already drilled...

Back
Top Bottom