Plz help my sick lionfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lionfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
No one can tell what's this growth. Plz help look at it's lower jaw sonething is growing with it's skin

Attachments

• 20231227_202400.jpg
    20231227_202400.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20231228-160553_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231228-160553_Gallery.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20231228-160517_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231228-160517_Gallery.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 12
It's possibly just a blister or an inflamed injury caused by something it ate that may have scratched the lip. If it's fuzzy and gray in color, very possibly the Lymphocystis virus (a.k.a. Lymph) as they tend to occur on the edges of fins and scales so the mouth is not an unrealistic location.
If it does not get any larger, I wouldn't be concerned. If it causes the fish not to eat, for it being that size, it's most likely from pain and discomfort so not Lymph. There's not much you can do for it past watching it to see if it grows. No medications are really safe to apply to the mouth directly and if it's a blister, popping it would not be a good thing.

Hope this helps. (y)

Thank u so much for help, i was really confused. I hv a habit to save a vedio of it eating and saw that yes it was having some trouble eating a molly last time and after that molly, it left other ones without eating which is very rare. I'll be keeping close eye on it thx��

Probably got a spine to the lip. OUCH!!!!!:blink: You'd have a hard time eating too if you got one to the lip. ;) ;) It will probably/ hopefully go away on it's own in a few days. (y) I wouldn't make him try to eat until you see the thing greatly reduced so no "food" pops the bubble.

It is feeling comfortable with hand feeding. I am breaking krill/prawn pieces into small and then giving it. I hv only fed it once a little as it was coughing so i think it throwed that food out at night too

It is feeling comfortable with hand feeding. I am breaking krill/prawn pieces into small and then giving it. I hv only fed it once a little as it was coughing so i think it throwed that food out at night too

The fish is not going to starve to death if it doesn't eat for a few days so I'd just leave it be and let that "thing" heal before trying again. If anything irritates it, that could make it take longer to heal. :(

Thx again��. I'll not be feeding it for some days then

Here's an update got a vedio today. It finally opened mouth to eat but after eating day before yesterday a little, again stopped maybe coz of pain. I just gave a small prawn piece by first squeezing it's small piece and it does well to come and snatch from my hand

Here's an update got a vedio today. It finally opened mouth to eat but after eating day before yesterday a little, again stopped maybe coz of pain. I just gave a small prawn piece by first squeezing it's small piece and it does well to come and snatch from my hand

Do you notice any shrinkage of the bump?

Just a little but I think more bumps inside it's mouth r forming, saw when it yawned. I am starting to think it's maybe not an injury but an infection but never seen anything like this before. Kept many lions but it's my 1st time

Just a little but I think more bumps inside it's mouth r forming, saw when it yawned. I am starting to think it's maybe not an injury but an infection but never seen anything like this before. Kept many lions but it's my 1st time
Interesting. I've never seen lions with bumps like that before. Tumors are common in species like Goldfish and Bettas but the only saltwater fish I have seen or known about with tumors were found in waters that were highly polluted. How clean is your water? How clean was the water where you got the fish from?

I had fish from a yr now(today it completed a yr). I know my lfs water is not too clean and it carries parasites like flukes too. My ammonia is at 0.2, hv carbon, protein skimmer and other things. I may hv to check sump as sometimes some detritus forms mulm there

I think that lower jaw is comming back to normal. Trying to feed it Beta Glucan as someone told me

I think that lower jaw is comming back to normal. Trying to feed it Beta Glucan as someone told me

Hopefully that works. (y) It's obvious that bump must be irritating him. I did a little research on the Beta Glucan and apparently it helps skin wounds so that may do the trick. (y)

Water cleanliness is very important for the fish's health. If you are getting detritus in your sump, your filtering is not doing it's best job. Whatever pads you are using are letting things either bypass it or pass through it. :( I can recommend a product called the Polyfilter. ( https://www.poly-bio-marine.com/ ) It's a pad that pulls all kinds of organics, medications and metals out of the water. I used them in all my marine tank filters. Really cut down the effluent in the protein skimmer. Make sure your water returns to the tank after going though this pad for the cleanest water in the tank. (y)

Any idea to bring it to eat? Tried everything and even live food but it do this everytime

Any idea to bring it to eat? Tried everything and even live food but it do this everytime

To me, it looks like he's eyeing that fish under the rock. This shows that he wants to eat but maybe there is a lingering pain so he looks but doesn't want to touch.
I suggest for now to use a vitamin supplement in the water to help keep him healthy while recuperating. You can also try smaller food fish like Guppies. That looks like Molly which is bigger. Maybe a smaller fish won't cause as much pain? At this point it's not about filling him up, it's about getting him to eat. Smaller foods have a better chance of causing less problems. (y)

What type of supplements can i try?

There are a few brands: Marine VitaChem, SERA FISHTAMIN AQUATIC VITAMINS and Brightwell Aquatics Vitamarin-M all can be absobed through the skin so the fish does not need to be feeding in order for them to benefit from the vitamins.
Once the fish is eating again, you can use the more recommended method of soaking the food so the fish gets the vitamins more directly. (y)

No use of trying guppies, it ignored them too��. I would leave them their by acclimating the.

Back
Top Bottom