PMDD dosing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gone fishin

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is your dosage, and frequency for PMDD in a fully planted 55?
Considering all paramaters in check.

Just wondering if you got by with " overdosing" a little, alot, or definitely not. Its taken alot to get up to specs, starting new.

I would definately consider "under" dosing, as over ferts will hail an algae invasion, or worse, Green Water, which can be a pain to get rid of. Of course, some of this depends on how heavily your tank is stocked with fish and the resultant nitrates and phosphates. I tend to keep my phospates well under 1ppm, usually at .5 to play it safe. Frequent water changes around 40% every week really help keep the algae at bay. Also, a 2 to 3 hour "siesta" (turning off the tank's lights) works for me. In fact it was the only way I got green algae under control with all my specs in the right place. Good luck.
P.S. Are you individually dry dosing the potassium and epsom salts at water changes. I like to do it tha way.

I think I may be limited in a nutrient in my mix. If I ad alot at a water change the algae just dies off. Adding daily to supplement, just goes back downhill. No the algae doesn't die off with water change only, it makes it alot worse.

I'm not sure I understand your question... Do you have pressurized CO2? IMHO, it really helps to have it for success with PMDD.

Try using Rex Grigg's regimen. Its on his FAQ...Dry dose Potassium sulphate at water changes. Add Epsom salts for Gh if needed also at water changes. Only use Plantex 3x per week at .5ml per 20 gallons. Check Nitrates and dose per Chuck Gadd's specs. I never have to as my fish supply enough Nitrates. Same goes for Phosphates but be careful with PO4. Occasionally add a little Flourish as well, but again I tend to underdose on the flourish as it brings on algae like gang busters. And if its a new tank it takes some time for all these elements to come into balance....
Lots of 35 to 40% water changes. Add Iron if plants look yellow till they look green. Do you have boron in your Plantex. If not you should. Dose 10.5 parts Plantex to 1 part Boron. I have a wet container of PO4, dry K, dry nitrates I never use, and wet plantex I dose 3 to 4 times a week. If I forget to dose plantex, I skip til the next time. I really believe under dosing is much better than over. The water changes allow one to start over every week.

This system works if you follow it exactly. Finally I have algae pretty much defeated and I can finally grow fine plants like Miyaka that algae suffocates easily. Good luck. You'll figure it out. Bob

Back
Top Bottom