po4 ph ca kh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KLN

Aquarium Advice Regular
Salifert test kits came in, and I have read the articles recommended.

ph at 2 a.m. is 8.0. Will check again when lights are on.

po4 is .25, with macroalgae growing rapidly. Remora skimmer operating well.

ca is 350; kh 13.8 / alk 4.91.

Plan is calcium chloride supplement to correct "zone 3" problem with ca/kh, then limewater to maintain ph, ca and alk.

Have been using ro instead of tap water, and quit using ph buffer.

Am I on the right track?

You could even let your Alk fall a bit IMO. With an Alk that high, precipitation of calcium can exist if pH should ever rise too much.

FYI, I try and keep my ALK between 8-10 DKH.

Although alkalinity and ph are linked, while the chemistry is reversed in the fashion indicated above, full precipitation will not occur. There will be small unnoticable instances of abiotic precip but that happens in most all reef tanks. As long as the magnesium is in sufficient quantity (1200+ ppm) there should be no reason for full precip unless the Ca concentration becomes quite a bit higher than it is now.

With the daily additions to correct the failing Ca with either a dry or liquid form of CaCl and no additions of alkalinity products, the chemistry will eventually shift in the calciums favor and force down the alkalinity. There is really no benefit of having alk above a range of 4.25 mEq/l with a balanced Ca. If you have a refugium with macro algaes and the like I would actually keep it just below 4.0 mEq/l or it will inhibit it's growth.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom