Pods/Bugs in Fuge ID Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cashmoney6980

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well I've noticed quite a few little pods and such on the glass in my sump/fuge... And been kinda worried one of them would be the dreaded predator isopod. I got some surprisingly good pics of them considering their small size. Any info on what they could be would be greatly appreciated, especially to ease my mind! Lol. Thanks in advance!

Here's the pod I'm curious on...
image-1405433396.jpg

And here's something else which I've not had much luck identifying. It doesn't appear as any type of pod cuz I don't see any visible legs or antennae.
image-2115921580.jpg

thank you for looking!

What could I do about the flatworms that won't harm the other invertebrates I have in the tank? I was worried you guys would say flatworm lol.

And about the hydroid, I have those pop up on the glass every so often. Are they anything to e worried about?

cashmoney6980 said:
What could I do about the flatworms that won't harm the other invertebrates I have in the tank? I was worried you guys would say flatworm lol.

And about the hydroid, I have those pop up on the glass every so often. Are they anything to e worried about?

The hydroid jellies are nothing to worry about, six line wrasses will eat flat worms, and they are cool fish.there are chemical ways to control them, but some flatworms are harmless, some aren't and some are only detrimental if they get so populated that they smother your sessile inverts, so I would hold off on the chemicals until you know if they are harmful and all more natural avenues have been explored.

That's great to hear! I do appreciate it! There aren't very many. I could count maybe a dozen total in the sump at one time, if that. Is it possible they came in on the recent addition of chaeto? Never seen them til a cpl weeks ago, and the only new addition being chaeto in the past cpl months, besides a single fish.

Tanks still semi new. 125g with 40g sump. Only 2 fish, a small foxface and yellow tang, with several breeds of snails, and a few pep shrimp. Has about 175 lbs of rock. 100lbs or so of sand. Been runnin for 8 or so months

cashmoney6980 said:
That's great to hear! I do appreciate it! There aren't very many. I could count maybe a dozen total in the sump at one time, if that. Is it possible they came in on the recent addition of chaeto? Never seen them til a cpl weeks ago, and the only new addition being chaeto in the past cpl months, besides a single fish.

Tanks still semi new. 125g with 40g sump. Only 2 fish, a small foxface and yellow tang, with several breeds of snails, and a few pep shrimp. Has about 175 lbs of rock. 100lbs or so of sand. Been runnin for 8 or so months

It easily could have hitched a ride on the chaeto, or conditions might have just gotten right. I've been cycling a tank for a while and just had an explosion of pods and have found some flat worms, haven't added anything except rock. That one of the cool things about reef tanks.

I have attached a photo of an amphipod, what you have in pic 1 is an isopod not amphipod. I have loads of Isopods in my tank and they are fine. I wouldn't worry much about them unless you see them on your fish.

After doing some research on the hydroid jellies, it sounds like these things are even worse than aiptasia to have? People say they will infest your entire tank and can sting you. People have said the second they see one of them, they break down the entire tank and nuke every rock they've got.

Is this the same type of hydroid? These haven't done anything in my tank besides appear on the glass every so often if I don't wipe it down for several days. I haven't seen any of them on the rock or anything like that. Just looks like a few snowflakes on the glass...

Last edited by a moderator:
No, back in the day, they were considered harmless, and from some quick research...Can go either way, they mostly die out pretty quick, so unless they are all over the tank...I wouldn't worry too much.

Back
Top Bottom