pokmijn 10g nano build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did wanted to drill it at first but i dont know if its tampered glass or not so i pick up an overflow for pretty cheap from a local reefer i talk with he actually gave me a very good deal. A overflow with the seaclear sump and a skimmer with pump for 100US dollars and when the tank is done cycling i could go pick up a few frags for free.

yeah it was,
so i just tested my water
amn - .50
so i didn't test anything else
looks like my cycle just started

ok tested water a while ago and here is the results

amn-.50
nitrite- close to .25
nitrate - 0
ph - 8.2

ok i finish setting up my ato system lets hope my cheap float valve don't fail i took pics but its crowded under there so i didn't post it i cant even tell which is which

good stuff, cycle is coming along well.

as for a skimmer you shouldnt need to worry as long as you keep up with the water changes.

and those lights are looking good! keep up posted!

yeah but today when i got home from work one of the ballast fail so i only have 65w of pc on it now and its not as bright anymore so im gonna buy a new ballast or just upgrade my lights, what do you guys think i want to be able to keep sps in this tank.

i picked up some macro algae today too so it will help.

and about the skimmer the reason i wanted to skim was because i know i wont be on top of water change cause i have a new born and i work most of the day so im trying to figure something out. i might buy a new one(mayeb)

true, sounds like a legit reason for wanting a skimmer =]

and you could try to find a small T5 fixture for your tank or make yourself an LED hood, that would be nice for keeping any coral in a tank your size.

sorry to hear about the ballast failing too

yeah but today when i got home from work one of the ballast fail so i only have 65w of pc on it now and its not as bright anymore so im gonna buy a new ballast or just upgrade my lights, what do you guys think i want to be able to keep sps in this tank.

i picked up some macro algae today too so it will help.

and about the skimmer the reason i wanted to skim was because i know i wont be on top of water change cause i have a new born and i work most of the day so im trying to figure something out. i might buy a new one(mayeb)

For nicer SPS you are going to need at least 4 T5's or a 150MH or LED's.
Each have their pro's and cons as far as energy and heat go.

If you wanted to keep some birdsnest or digi you could probably get away with 2 T5HO over that, provided they are nicer bulbs.

yeah im just going to keep some lower light sps so i might get a 70watt metal halides in a month or so im not in a rush for a light right now since im still going through my cycle

hopefully i get a skimmer in this weekend cause im planning on getting a different stand(a higher one) so my skimmer will fit.

water test in a few mins.

those fully cured live rock is helping my cycling go really fast all my levels are dropping already i might be done in a day or two.

readings
amn- the color is almost at 0ppm cant really tell very close
nitrite- is also near the 0ppm mark too
nitrate- 0ppm
ph - 8.2(steady)

maybe i could already go pick up a few frags this weekend.

i also change my ato to a float switch after i remembered a had a few from my old setup.

one question, after(if) the cycle completes and i dont detect any nitrate do i really need a water change or could i get by.

you should have some sort of nitrates, idk id add a bit and see how quick your system processes it before adding

yeah i put in a small piece of shrimp in there two 3 days ago its starting to rot but nothing is really spiking

turns out i did the nitrate(use the same bottle twice lol) test wrong. but i tested right now
amn- now zero
nitrite- almost zero(or could be zero)
nitrate is at between 20ppm and 40ppm
so im gonna do a waterchange in a bit.

i should be safe to pick up some frags right unless someone says otherwise.

added a two little fishes phosban reactor running phosban

gonna add another one but to run carbon this weekend.

ok just got back from a local reefer a few house down i had him test my water and it came out out the same he said the tanks look cycled to him. got the lr from his tank

Back
Top Bottom