Poll Regarding Algae Species

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Is the Statement True, Mostly True, or Complete Crap?

• Exactly Right!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • True most of the time but I have seen the occasional exception.

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • This does not reflect what I have seen at all.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • I don't know because I rarely get algae anymore.

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters
If I believe my test results I usually have between 20 to 40ppm nitrates, 2 (or so) phosphate and around 100ppm potassium. I do overdose potassium but that was under high light for giant hygro (sorry don't have proper name). So not sure on that potassium reading.

BBA has been a pain. Very little green spot algae. One plant has some hair algae.

Since sorting CO2 injection, dropping lights to 6 hours, increasing glut dosing and possibly help from fish/snails; the BBA has reduced over last month or two. First couple of weeks nothing seemed to happen but now I can see a difference. Recently swapped back to T5HO (from LEDs) so will so how that goes. Running lights for 7 hours.

This tank used to get green spot algae on one side that had a little natural light.

The best planted tank I did was one where I was away for 6 months. That had no algae at all.

There was no ferts dosing, never replaced bulb for years, never knew what I know now eg on water changes, no co2, gravel substrate with ugf. I can only guess I hit some balance that the plants liked (although I wish I could go back in time and test ph to see what the swordtail fry were swimming in).

How do you test your K? My test kit doesn't work right.

I have heard a lot of stories about how increasing PO4 got rid of green Spot Algae.

How do you test your K? My test kit doesn't work right.

I have heard a lot of stories about how increasing PO4 got rid of green Spot Algae.

This is the one I use. Only lasts for a year apparently (according to box) and was expensive so not sure if I will buy again. Test kit read high but plants were short in potassium so not sure which to believe. Now I use it as a relative test, if it goes higher than ~100ppm I cut back dosing but no idea if 100 is true. The kit has 5 bottles to step through on using/testing so I can only assume that it was put together by someone who knows what they are doing.

I've got no idea what the guy in the website is doing..

http://www.coral-shop.com/shop.php?code=detail&detail=284

This is the one I use. Only lasts for a year apparently (according to box) and was expensive so not sure if I will buy again. Test kit read high but plants were short in potassium so not sure which to believe. Now I use it as a relative test, if it goes higher than ~100ppm I cut back dosing but no idea if 100 is true. The kit has 5 bottles to step through on using/testing so I can only assume that it was put together by someone who knows what they are doing.

I've got no idea what the guy in the website is doing..

coral-shop.com - Seawater Analysis - Test Kits - [TEST] CS TEST Potassium

I have been toying with the idea of getting a soil K test and making some sample standards to see if I can come up with my own color chart. Doesn't have to be perfect, just cheap and relative. I have also read recently that Urea is a player in the algae game. I always thought urea degraded into ammonia instantly in water but I am now understanding this is not so. There are urea tests for labs which are expensive and need refrigeration. The soil test people might have something cheaper. Would just be a no low high kind of test I suppose.

Would be interested on what you find with soil tests. Only briefly looked around at soil or aquaponics test kits but would love to find something cheaper.

Soil tests all look dirt cheap. Pun intended :D. They don't have a ppm range so we would have to make test solutions for calibration. They have some cool ones we don't have for aquariums. I imagine you would soak the dirt in di water to do the test so that is probably very easy to just use aquarium water instead.

Edit:It looks like soil tests are always a package deal and you only get a few of each N P and K test. That make's it more expensive then I thought. I think you probably could do the test once a month with K just to see what your long term average was. I will keep looking for a cheaper way to get them.

Soil tests all look dirt cheap. Pun intended :D. They don't have a ppm range so we would have to make test solutions for calibration. They have some cool ones we don't have for aquariums. I imagine you would soak the dirt in di water to do the test so that is probably very easy to just use aquarium water instead.

Edit:It looks like soil tests are always a package deal and you only get a few of each N P and K test. That make's it more expensive then I thought. I think you probably could do the test once a month with K just to see what your long term average was. I will keep looking for a cheaper way to get them.

Long term average would work for me. I'll have to check out soil tests again for pricing here.

Ps "groan" on the pun ?

Back
Top Bottom