Pond not just for fish but you too!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Johnnypatriots

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was sitting out by the pond the other day on the bench and got to thinking how much a pond is for your well being as much as it is for your fish or whatever aquatic critters you may have along with a garden pond if you choose to go that way.

I find that sitting and watching the fish feed or just doing their natural behavior takes me away from everyday stress from work(although retired now) ,medical conditions or the hectic times of family life. I do find sharing my pond with my grandson gives us time to bond more and he learns more about a pond and seems to really enjoy it.

I love watching the wildlife that frequents the pond. Watching the butterflies doing their crazy flight patterns and drawing nectar from flowers very comforting along with a dragon fly landing on a twig and the sun shining through it's transparent wings a beautiful sight. I have quite a few lizards that use the pond along with several bird species and those pesky wild cats once in awhile.

I find that I really love working on the pond to make it as natural as possible and I reflect back to my childhood years playing around a wild pond and what I saw through my eyes and felt in my heart. I in-corporate into the planning of the pond those factors which also includes the sounds I hear when I close my eyes like the bird songs, the insects buzzing around, a fish splashing in the pond and many more that would take to long to mention.

I strongly believe in doing alt of research before having a pond and long afterwards to continue to improve and make the pond a very healthy and happy environment for my pond inhabitants, those wildlife who visit from time to time and of coarse most important of all my grandson, wife and me.

This only touches a few points and ideas in having a pond and if anyone else would like to contribute their thoughts and ideas please do so. I would love to hear what you feel and see in having a pond that will last a life time. Thanks for reading, Johnny :)

Wow, that pretty much sums it up beautifully! Thank you!
The only thing I could add is that working on the pond (initial construction, maintenance, etc) can be a great bonding time with kids/grandkids, etc. I have three kids (3, 10 and 15) and they were all (well, maybe not so much the 3 year old) a huge help last year when I first put it in. I should have counted how many shovels full a 500 gallon pond is.
I have several areas I need to improve on this spring plus I plan to replace the patio right next to it with with a larger one made of pavers. My 2 boys and I are looking forward to getting our hands dirty. I love the fact that they would rather spend their time with their dad doing something like that then at their friends playing video games, etc.
We were at a basketball tournament for my 10 year old last saturday and I was introduced to a neighbor from several houses away, his wife said "you know, he's the one with the pond" to which he replied "Oh, yeah!, you know you've reached celebraty status with the kids in the neighborhood because of that pond". And as I think back, there always seemed to be more tadpoles, frogs, toads, etc everyday - now I know where they came from :)
Sorry for the lengthy reply - I don't want to detract from your post.

Thanks for sharing your pond with us, Johnny. That's a beautiful post and it really shows how much the pond means to you and your family. Through your imagery, I can hear every bird, frog, and bee, and see every graceful hummingbird and butterfly.

That is awesome. I plan on building a pond, once I move back to Texas. That should be in about 4-5 years....sigh.....

hey I am in Texas ! I am in the research/planning stage of my pond, I have estimated to be around 250 gal. I have tilled the dirt up where it will be, but that's about it.
I enjoyed your post as well. I hope you hang around, I will need all the help I can get. do you have pictures?
Oh I have 2 boys I plan on putting to work with this project as well, I am really looking forward to it. It is just a slow project right now. We are trying to get our vegetable garden going as well! yum

Back
Top Bottom